Building a logo-free Paiste set. Maybe.

Neal Pert

Silver Member
The other day I found an old Paiste 2002 22" ride where the logos were completely gone and there was a pretty heavy patina. The price was OK and I'd been wanting to try one of that model so I bought it. And you know? The cymbal sounds great. It's a classic sound that is different from any of the Paiste rides I own.

Now, of course there are a million old Zildjians with their logos removed, but old logo-free Paistes are kind of rare and, seemingly, not that desirable among Paiste users. But I think I understand this-- a 2002 with those red logos just looks amazing. And of course Paiste puts a coating on these cymbals, and once stripped the B8 cymbals oxidize very quickly and you've either got to keep cleaning them or they get ugly. Or you can find a product to re-coat them, I guess.

I am having this thought of trying to find a crash (18, 19, or 20) and a set of 14" hats (Sound Edge or Heavy) to complete this little rig. I'm curious what you think of it. Too much trouble? Do any of you play old, logo-free 2002s or anything similar?

I have an old logo-less 2002 20" Ride that I play every once in a while. I also have a pair of pre-serial 602 hats (that I'm selling...) that doesn't have the original logo. That isn't the reason I'm selling them though.

Personally, I like all the Paiste logos. I love the simplicity of the font, telling you what the cymbal is; RIDE, CRASH, etc. The 2002 and 602 logos are just classic! And the Giant Beat? Oh man...perfection. That said, I don't clean my cymbals. I guess I like the best of both worlds...logos with a little bit of patina.

To answer your question, it does kinda seem like a lot of effort. However, you would most likely be shopping used to complete your idea, and with Paiste's consistency, you pretty much know what you're getting into. It's your money, if that makes you happy, go for it.

That's why we have jobs... Assuming you have a job. In case you don't, you should probably sell your Paistes (to me) and go buy some food or shelter.

I have some Paiste's with no logos.
Not from me removing. I purchased them from 2nd hand stores; the seller has no idea what they are; and I do.
Hence, I pick up bargains.

16" Sound Formula
16" 2oo2 Crash
10" 2oo2 Splash

Last edited:
I mean, this isn't the kind of thing I'm willing to spend much effort on. I just assume things will come up cheap now and then, you know? It'll give me something to look for.

The other day I found an old Paiste 2002 22" ride where the logos were completely gone and there was a pretty heavy patina. The price was OK and I'd been wanting to try one of that model so I bought it. And you know? The cymbal sounds great. It's a classic sound that is different from any of the Paiste rides I own.

Now, of course there are a million old Zildjians with their logos removed, but old logo-free Paistes are kind of rare and, seemingly, not that desirable among Paiste users. But I think I understand this-- a 2002 with those red logos just looks amazing. And of course Paiste puts a coating on these cymbals, and once stripped the B8 cymbals oxidize very quickly and you've either got to keep cleaning them or they get ugly. Or you can find a product to re-coat them, I guess.

I am having this thought of trying to find a crash (18, 19, or 20) and a set of 14" hats (Sound Edge or Heavy) to complete this little rig. I'm curious what you think of it. Too much trouble? Do any of you play old, logo-free 2002s or anything similar?
You could even clean off some residue of logo to get your full set? Polish with WD40 and they’ll be fine…keep scanning the eBay and @I-P ‘s secondhand store!!! Good luck! :D (y)

• Smile
Reactions: I-P

Paiste pioneered the use of ink logos in 1972, 6 years before Zildjian, that being said, there are a TON on black label 2002's and 602's in Germany w/o the ink logos.
They are usually priced reasonably, the biggest hurdle is getting the seller to ship to the US...

I got five 602's with no ink. But they got damage. Some obvious some not so obvious . Four of the five sound great Extremely good
I'd box up. But I don't think (knowing you) you'd be caught dead with them. But the 3/14" one SE, hats and the 19 (triangle edge chunk cut out) are almost in old K Zildjian territory with a Swiss twist
So they're not for sale changed my mind again. But I don't yet know why I keep them oh yeah they don't take any space that's why..

"I was going to use them in a Keith Jarrett 70s Tribute Band but the deal fell thru"

Last edited:
You could even clean off some residue of logo to get your full set? Polish with WD40 and they’ll be fine…keep scanning the eBay and @I-P ‘s secondhand store!!! Good luck! :D (y)

Yeah, I'd be fine with some old, ratty-looking faded logo cymbals that I'd clean off.

Joe, are the ones you have pre-serial?

yes Sir pre serial

one perfect - clean shine- 850g
another ---edge knick teeny fissures 2 or three -heavy patina almost black- 899g
sound edge bottom edge knick fissures teeny again.- decent green- 972g

3 > 14's ^^

really good sound but

18 ps huge edge crack widened yuck sound
19 ps ugly wedge cut out sounds like an Intermediate stamp

also have a serial 1978
18" Seven Sound Set China with a hole divot chunk out
which sounds fine needs seated on the stand with thought, care and felts so won't slide into the divide..

19 ride 2012g chunk-out, China 18sss, 18 cr 1587g fine tooth could fit a comb in.
GreenPatine60219 001.JPGInspiredBy 001.JPG60218 002.JPG

3 14s not pictured)
$5 clunkers shown
~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK. Hi Hats. 14's.

Clean Machine 850, Darky 899, and Sound Edge 972.

Ps 001.JPGPs 002.JPGPs 003.JPG

That's all I have left (of Ps') to show visitor's to the Old K Garage and Lounge..

Last edited:
Back