One drummer...2 hours.

Stewart Copeland
but need 72 hours maybe a week.

Keith Moon, lets blow some stuff up!
Moonie was actually one of the first ones I thought of. If there was some way to get him to actually talk about drums and drummers and music and his approach—things I don't think he was actually asked about a whole lot, especially once his reputation as Moon the Loon took over—I'll bet he'd have some really interesting stuff to say. Of course, from reading biographies, it seems impossible to predict whether or not you'd even get the chance to get into a conversation with him.

Gene Krupa, because he was the first drummer I ever really noticed and listened to, and I know he'd have a lot of good advice and stories he could tell.

I wanted to say Buddy Rich, but he would probably tell me to get the fu** out of his bus.
Funny you should say those two drummers, although I have no recollection of meeting Gene Krupa because I was an infant in my mother's arms when my parents saw him in concert in1952. After the concert Gene walked over to my parents and said, "she looks like she's going to be a drummer" as he handed my father a pair of his signature sticks that I still have till this day.

And speaking of Buddy Rich he allowed my husband and I on his tour bus and he gave me his sticks also. Two great drummers!

Last edited:
I’d go with a bassist , Pino Palladino ..
I want to jam with him and have him give me pointers …
I don’t care to have a convo …

Who do you want to talk with and where do you meet. I thought about Bonham..and Ringo..Paice and many others but it's Jeff Porcaro I want to meet at Old Chicago..have a few beers and talk about how he came up with his parts on Tommy Bolins Homeward strut..his thoughts on recording with Sonny and Cher. His favorite tune with Boz Scaggs. Just 2 hours of picking his brain from equiptment to his favorite foods..how he chooses hihat cymbals. You know..drum stuff for two hours. I think he would be ultimately interesting. You?. Who and why.

First of all you should sit down, because what i'm about to tell you might shock you and you might hyperventilate.
Take a big breath, drink a glass of water. Are you comfortable now?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you must be aware that Bonham and Porcaro have been dead for years.

First of all you should sit down, because what i'm about to tell you might shock you and you might hyperventilate.
Take a big breath, drink a glass of water. Are you comfortable now?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you must be aware that Bonham and Porcaro have been dead for years.
Yes..i just assumed that readers of the post would know I was aware without prefacing (if possible). For a second I thought you were going to say that you had a sit with Jeff going over his many memories of various recordings which actually DID have me hyped for a minute 😃.

I'd take Ginger Baker to a church for an exorcism. Probably need more than 2 hours though.
I loved his drumming and his rhythmic approach, but when I saw that documentary I was saddened.

Yes..i just assumed that readers of the post would know I was aware without prefacing (if possible). For a second I thought you were going to say that you had a sit with Jeff going over his many memories of various recordings which actually DID have me hyped for a minute 😃.

I'm sorry i was high as hell, i was joking.

My mind goes to Neil Peart, if we were still alive.

He generally liked avoiding fans, so him sitting down like that would be so out of character for him that, well, if he had no choice, I'd take it!

I wouldn't ask him about how he played anything. But I'd be curious as to what goes through his head on stage when playing certain songs. His thoughts on why some songs are in the setlist and others are not. What he was thinking when he wrote certain parts. And his thoughts of being someone who doesn't lie being the public eye yet makes a living being in the public eye.

But if limited to living drummers. I think Kenny Arnoff. I'm always curious as to what drives him. His career has been full of so many roadblocks yet he's risen to the top of the heap in situations that would have caused other people to turn around and go home. I had hoped his autobiography would have answered those questions, but it really didn't. Or, perhaps like many books, the good parts were edited out.

I think Kenny Arnoff.
At the Sweetwater workshop “How to Record Drums” I never stopped asking questions.
“Why Tama?”
“Do you really write down/transcribe every performance?”
“What’s the deal with Tom Fogerty and 50 takes to record a song?”
Etc., etc.

The guy gratefully answered all my (our) questions.

I'm sorry i was high as hell, i was joking.
With my razor sharp bat like radar unequaled in humanity I was sure you were joking 😃 but it's all good. I never got high but damn I miss the days while at someone's crib all my friends were gettin high while I just dug the relaxed vibe..the seeds popping in the bowl or joint the I'm high grins and all of that from waaay back. Plus I loved the smell of weed burning while can I say this without a response void?. Anyway..totally dig it. You just gave me some very fond memories.

• Haha
Reactions: _

He generally liked avoiding fans, so him sitting down like that would be so out of character for him that, well, if he had no choice, I'd take it!

I wouldn't ask him about how he played anything.

If Neil were still alive and I had the chance to talk with him, I'd talk motorcycles with him. I ride a BMW R1200GSA and I'm pretty sure he's owned one of those.

I'd pick his brain about his favourite roads and restaraunts that he's found along the way. That would fill up way more than 2 hours.

Gene Krupa, because he was the first drummer I ever really noticed and listened to, and I know he'd have a lot of good advice and stories he could tell.

I wanted to say Buddy Rich, but he would probably tell me to get the fu** out of his bus.

same here.

Krupa is my first hero b/c of my dad.

I would ask him:
who was your biggest influence
what was it like to get the Benny Goodman gig?
when did you realize that you had "made it"?
the 2 most important pieces of advice you got for developing technicality on the drums
most favorite song to play
an innovation he wished would happen to drums

I wouldn't ask him about how he played anything. But I'd be curious as to what goes through his head on stage when playing certain songs. His thoughts on why some songs are in the setlist and others are not. What he was thinking when he wrote certain parts. And his thoughts of being someone who doesn't lie being the public eye yet makes a living being in the public eye.
I think he'd really have enjoyed talking about that stuff.

But if limited to living drummers. I think Kenny Arnoff. I'm always curious as to what drives him. His career has been full of so many roadblocks yet he's risen to the top of the heap in situations that would have caused other people to turn around and go home. I had hoped his autobiography would have answered those questions, but it really didn't. Or, perhaps like many books, the good parts were edited out.
You would have been very lucky to have had the chance to speak with Peart. I was told he was extremely shy and hesitant to meet and talk with fans. A drummer friend of mine saw Rush over 60 times, went backstage, met Geddy and Alex, but never met Peart, because he always left immediately after the shows were over, or stayed in a green room and refused to come out. My response was, after sixty plus shows, couldn't he have just said hello for a minute to a uber fan like you? :unsure:

Back