Some Bo news

I'm digging your conundrum, for a positive outcome. :)

Female-fronted bands always get bigger crowds I’ve noticed. It’s like YouTube 😉

Comparing a local recording house's videos, a house that invites bands to record for free, the female fronted vids have more views for a prescribed period of time. But I think it's females doing the additional viewing by reading the comments.

I have made the tracks too Mr. Bo.
How will you play them back? Pro Tools?
Stereo Audio with click in left?
or oh my........ trigger the midi synths live with sequencing///I hope not.
It will be fun......i think.

I have made the tracks too Mr. Bo.
How will you play them back? Pro Tools?
Stereo Audio with click in left?
or oh my........ trigger the midi synths live with sequencing///I hope not.
It will be fun......i think.
The easiest way - do the track and mix to stereo with the track on the right and the click on the left, then export as an MP3. That whole live midi sequencing died for me long ago 😉

Yep...that's it. Track-R Click-L.....or miami vice versa.
What will be your player?.....
I know it could be a phone.....but??
laptop with a program with more features than itunes?

In the 80's, we drove those synths LIVE with MIDI sequencers. "What could go wrong?"
All clocked by my Linn Drum. That was my job.
Simmons, Linn, Linn set tapes and a Radio Shack cassette recorder to load the sets in.
(Not Real Section-"Will you also be using Radio Shack equipment in your venture Sir?......"
plug for the SHACK bro!........."hey they always ask me for my phone number and shoe size....dude!)

Many congratulations! it is terrific to see your growth and success, Bo!

Coincidentally, I saw "Start Making Sense" here in Colorado a few weeks ago. They're a Bethlehem, PA-based Talking Heads tribute and, I felt, extremely strong. (No affiliation, I bought my ticket.)

Drum wise, I was surprised by how simple the drum parts were to many songs - a lot of it is pretty much four on the floor. It was also a great illustration in the level of musicality possible with 'simple' music!

Bo, I think you'll do great and hope you tour in Colorado (with any band).

View attachment 134536
A surprisingly simple drum kit.

View attachment 134537
They have a blonde female bass player, too! (And she's dating the drummer, just like Tina and Chris.)

View attachment 134538
The lead singer really channeled David Byrne, and the lead guitar player was excellent.
Hmm, have not heard of this band but I live 20 minutes away from Bethlehem. I’ll have to keep an eye out for them!

My girlfriend and I were digging through some Talking Heads tracks a while back, and I too was surprised at how many songs I knew.

The groove is absolutely king in their songs. Look at songs we've heard forever like Take Me To The River. That groove all the way through that song is just IT for me.

I know you can pull off this gig, Bo! Best of luck with it!

Talking Heads have a great a catalogue to dig into. Nice contrast to the Devo project.

Lots of work to get it going, but potential for some good times.

Its great to hear a 'good business' report.

Glad your work is going so well!

In the 80's, we drove those synths LIVE with MIDI sequencers. "What could go wrong?"
Simmons, Linn, Linn set tapes and a Radio Shack cassette recorder to load the sets in.
(Not Real Section-"Will you also be using Radio Shack equipment in your venture Sir?......"
plug for the SHACK bro!........."hey they always ask me for my phone number and shoe size....dude!)
I’ve been putting all my MP3’s into iTunes lately even for my solo act and it’s pretty bullet proof - then I have the option of using any of my iPads, iPods, laptops, or even Iphone (should some emergency arise). I’m all about redundancy 😉

Heck, I can even try those Chinese mp3 players you find on Amazon for cheap too. To be completely bullet-proof maybe I should find an old DAT tape machine too 😂😂😂

I used itunes for a live show.
I discovered on my old apple laptop, there was channel bleed. I could hear the clk in the audio side.
Switched to a newer macbook air and got good separation.
But yeah man....redundancy....back ups....good.

28 year RadioShack manager here...love the reference. I miss it terribly.

Ever think that this door you are walking through has opened for a reason other than the immediate?. Life can be odd that way.
Well, I never take a gift for granted. I’m interested in seeing where this goes - as a kid I was a fan of both bands so this is the next best thing to being in the real versions - and the money certainly is better than doing cover band work in a bar 😉

But is the Freedom
ya know "artistic expression"..

I guess all but a few of us are in "repo bands.
"bar band" the "repo" changes from tune to tune

Last edited:
But is the Freedom
ya know "artistic expression"..

I guess all but a few of us are in "repo bands.
This opens a door I’m always thinking about because I guess there’s this argument over “getting to do what you want” and “just executing what’s been done”. I think in terms of the great classical musicians - they’re basically re-interpreting music written hundreds of years ago and everyone acknowledges their prowess. Are they James Taylor writing songs in his bedroom? No.

So it’s two different things. I don’t really have anything original to say on any instrument, so I take pride in being able to execute somebody else’s ideas - In either tribute band or cover band format and I’m happy with it. If I could write a song that really expresses who I am and pays the bills, then I guess that’s the other freedom you speak of? But I can’t, and I’ve stopped that long ago to concentrate on what I do best.

"bar band" the "repo" changes from tune to tune

so within one night you're doing "23 or 37" bands..
"that's the freedom" the variety within an evening

But ya. Performance is performance.

Last edited:
THe one thing I remember about Chris Frantz is his use of patterns.. the grooves sound simple but he adds in these little embellishments all the time to change it up... and it never ends up sounding like Steely Dan elevator music. I'd describe his style as 'simple but layered' with a lot of soul! Definitely knew what he was doing! Good luck!

Btw no disrespect to SD fans as I'm one of them.. that's just what I hear a lot from people that aren't musicians Lol.

Back