Whatcha Reading Right Now?

In 1987 I camped for two weeks on the shores of Lake Superior. It was after Labor Day so the night temperatures were low and the black flies were virtually gone. It was such a great experience! I crossed paths with only one other person, a park ranger. I had been sleeping in the warm sand during the late afternoons and he warned me, "Watch out for black bears." And—poof—no more toasty naps in the sand.

sooooo jealous

Lake Superior is like a holy spot to me!!

sooooo jealous

Lake Superior is like a holy spot to me!!
It's a cold spot for me! Grew up in and now live very near Rogers City, MI, USA - about an hour south of the Mackinac bridge. I could swim in Lake Huron from June through October, but Lake Superior always seemed too cold to enjoy. Spent many nights camping in the UP in July - daytime temps could be in the 80's (28 °C) with nights in the 40's (7 °C).

I've swam (swum?) in all the great lakes, but never all five in the same calendar year. Huron, Michigan and Superior but only wading knee-deep in Erie is my best one-year effort. According to my rule, I have to be completely submerged and actually swim underwater for as long as I can hold my breath to count. Swimming under the Mackinac Bridge does not count as two lakes (in my rule book, anyway - YMMV ;)), though I've done it several times. Maybe 2023 is the year, now that I'm retired!?!

It's a cold spot for me! Grew up in and now live very near Rogers City, MI, USA - about an hour south of the Mackinac bridge. I could swim in Lake Huron from June through October, but Lake Superior always seemed too cold to enjoy. Spent many nights camping in the UP in July - daytime temps could be in the 80's (28 °C) with nights in the 40's (7 °C).

I've swam (swum?) in all the great lakes, but never all five in the same calendar year. Huron, Michigan and Superior but only wading knee-deep in Erie is my best one-year effort. According to my rule, I have to be completely submerged and actually swim underwater for as long as I can hold my breath to count. Swimming under the Mackinac Bridge does not count as two lakes (in my rule book, anyway - YMMV ;)), though I've done it several times. Maybe 2023 is the year, now that I'm retired!?!

you are probably better off having not swam/gone under water in Lake Erie ;)

I can say that i have canoed in all the Great Lakes except Ontario.

Would love to live near you are too

I really hope to retire someplace north of Saginaw, on either side of the state. We have access to a family cabin near the Rose City area, so that is the area I am most familiar with, but up near Sleeping Bear...like in the Frankfort area is also inviting.

"A Bastard Of A Place" - The Australians in Papua. Kokoda, Milne Bay, Gona, Buna, Sanananda. Most Americans would not have heard of these WW2 conflicts of Australians with the Japanese on the doorstep of our country . You would of heard more of Guadanacanal, Iwo Jima , Saipan etc. which were the conflicts in which your soldiers fought so bravely in. Lest We Forget.

Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer

Loving it so far. Really trying to rebuild a relationship with nature this summer, and this one feels perfectly timed.

Since signing up for Audible a couple of months ago, I've listened to Moby Dick, Mrs. Dalloway, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (read by Colin Farrell), Breakfast of Champions (read by John Malkovich), and I'm nearly finished with Look Homeward, Angel. I listen for about an hour each night while sorting and organizing drum parts.
I'm also re-reading The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy on my Kindle for about half an hour each night.

Have you read anything on The Battle of Long Tan?

Some fired up Aussie action on that piece of history.
Yes I have and plan to watch the recent film about it . My father fought alongside Australian ' desert rats' at Tobruk and the New Zealanders at Monte Cassino . He had a deep respect for their abilities and spirit .

Yes I have and plan to watch the recent film about it . My father fought alongside Australian ' desert rats' at Tobruk and the New Zealanders at Monte Cassino . He had a deep respect for their abilities and spirit .

I've seen it quite a few times at the cinema.

It is really, really good.

It's got Travis Fimmel in it from Vikings.

The documentary narrated by Sam Worthington is just unbelievable.

Tough Diggers they were....... some were conscripts apparently.

It's really lovely to hear that you are interested in some of our history.....we are a small global player but we have some interesting history.

Did your father get back home safe Ravenson?

I've seen it quite a few times at the cinema.

It is really, really good.

It's got Travis Fimmel in it from Vikings.

The documentary narrated by Sam Worthington is just unbelievable.

Tough Diggers they were....... some were conscripts apparently.

It's really lovely to hear that you are interested in some of our history.....we are a small global player but we have some interesting history.

Did your father get back home safe Ravenson?
Yes he survived . I wouldn't be here if he didn't .

Since signing up for Audible a couple of months ago, I've listened to Moby Dick, Mrs. Dalloway, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (read by Colin Farrell), Breakfast of Champions (read by John Malkovich), and I'm nearly finished with Look Homeward, Angel. I listen for about an hour each night while sorting and organizing drum parts.
I'm also re-reading The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy on my Kindle for about half an hour each night.
I don't think I can do audible books, most people read very slow (I used to read a 1000 page book in 3 days so about 12 hrs). I know whoever narrates the book has to read slow and enunciate so it would be even slower plus that forced English accent just gets old quick.
But I know a lot of people enjoy the narration so I can't knock it, just not for me.

I don't think I can do audible books, most people read very slow (I used to read a 1000 page book in 3 days so about 12 hrs). I know whoever narrates the book has to read slow and enunciate so it would be even slower plus that forced English accent just gets old quick.
But I know a lot of people enjoy the narration so I can't knock it, just not for me.

i have tried those in the past, and I just don't remember any part of them. When I read, it has to be in a "single focus" kind of situation. Audio-books allow my mind - and hands - to wander elsewhere

Ukraine and Russia - Paul D'Anieri .

Lightning Striking / Ten Transformative Moments in Rock and Roll - Lenny Kaye

I don't like to rush it. I like to read/listen at the pace I imagine it was written; to savor it, if you will. However, Audible does have a feature which allows one to change the speed of the recording.

i have tried those in the past, and I just don't remember any part of them. When I read, it has to be in a "single focus" kind of situation. Audio-books allow my mind - and hands - to wander elsewhere
I find that if the volume is loud enough, the story holds my attention, regardless of what my hands are doing.

Last edited:
View attachment 120329

Book #7 and the last entry in the line. Saw the movie and really liked it, so thought i'd delve into these books and ordered all 7 of them (all from the same series so it looks nice on the book shelf haha) somewhere in 2019 i believe. Went through the first 4 books pretty fast and after that i took some time of from reading. Can't remember when i started reading this book, but i guess over a year ago. Recently picked it up again because i want to finish it and then watch the movie on Netflix again.

Weird to quote myself, but still haven't finished this one haha. On page 431 right now, started a week ago with reading again. Hope to finish now since the end game is coming up and i want to know how it ends!

Back