The use of the wrists in double strokes

Bill has also been one of the biggest influences on how I play and teach doubles as well...and is a super nice, and smart guy.

I don't use as much forearm as him at top speeds (that is a 90's drum corps thing), but I get where he is coming from as far as getting power for endurance at that speed
Alan Abel taught his students this type of technique. Ted Atkatz did a nice demonstration of it at PASIC years back, calling it the "chicken wing". Granted it's not the same, but it's interesting to see similar concepts.

Vic Firth Fundamentals 2: The Chicken Wing Technique

Alan Abel taught his students this type of technique. Ted Atkatz did a nice demonstration of it at PASIC years back, calling it the "chicken wing". Granted it's not the same, but it's interesting to see similar concepts.

Vic Firth Fundamentals 2: The Chicken Wing Technique

and interesting that it would be used/though of by a orchestral guy....i get some of what he is talking about, but it still seems to be too stiff, and clunky sounding to my ears...but it also is a tool that is in my box being a guy who lived through the 90's

and interesting that it would be used/though of by a orchestral guy....i get some of what he is talking about, but it still seems to be too stiff, and clunky sounding to my ears...but it also is a tool that is in my box being a guy who lived through the 90's

In the orchestral context, it’s mostly used for those very rare loud passages that are also very fast, and for extremely loud buzz rolls.

Back