I had to do another one!

You sound so professional now.👍👍

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' bout Willis.

Great great work behind the kit.

Everything just worked beautifully Gina.

Last edited:
You asked for thoughts........and while I could just post the standard "Awesome !!"....etc. Here are a couple things that come to mind, and feel free to think I'm insane.

In general it can be tricky to get objectively "busy" fills to translate well from a recording perspective and regardless of how they land on the grid they can feel rushed. One thing to possibly consider is the power of not hitting a crash of any type after a fill. For example, I believe you play roughly 3 "fills" complete with toms and crash in that clip, the middle one to my ears was perfect right up until the crash which felt rushed.....would have sounded killer to me if you just ended on your toms and went straight back to the sweet hihat groove.

Just something to think about. Once I proved to myself and the world that I could play all sorts of Vinnie-Weckl-Smith-Portnoy busy fills and hit everything I own over the course of a measure I started to pull back and realized the power in less notes and musically sometimes it is more appropriate to not end a fill with a cymbal crash.

But I realize in short format social media clips that might not be what you are shooting for, but you asked for thoughts........

Last edited:
You asked for thoughts........and while I could just post the standard "Awesome !!"....etc. Here are a couple things that come to mind, and feel free to think I'm insane.

In general it can be tricky to get objectively "busy" fills to translate well from a recording perspective and regardless of how they land on the grid they can feel rushed. One thing to possibly consider is the power of not hitting a crash of any type after a fill. For example, I believe you play roughly 3 "fills" complete with toms and crash in that clip, the middle one to my ears was perfect right up until the crash which felt rushed.....would have sounded killer to me if you just ended on your toms and went straight back to the sweet hihat groove.

Just something to think about. Once I proved to myself and the world that I could play all sorts of Vinne-Weckl-Smith-Portnoy busy fills and hit everything I own over the course of a measure I started to pull back and realized the power in less notes and musically sometimes it is more appropriate to not end a fill with a cymbal crash.

But I realize in short format social media clips that might not be what you are shooting for, but you asked for thoughts........
totally understand what you’re saying here! yeah i’ve gotten comments before about being to busy on the track, which is something I would never do live or unless told to “ let loose” but social media and only have roughly 30seconds on these videos is why i put more in there that i wouldn’t normally do. Of course i’m trying to show off to other musicians who understand the musicality, but to those who also follow me and Don’t understand how less is more, those followers would be bored by the same beat for 30secs straight. ALSO to make these videos, i have no click or other percussion in the background of my tracks so if there’s any fluctuations in my timing, that’s simply just comes down to my human feel at that point! No drummer is perfect 100% of the time period haha! i appreciate your comment, just letting you know where my mind is when i put these out, THANKS!!

totally understand what you’re saying here! yeah i’ve gotten comments before about being to busy on the track, which is something I would never do live or unless told to “ let loose” but social media and only have roughly 30seconds on these videos is why i put more in there that i wouldn’t normally do. Of course i’m trying to show off to other musicians who understand the musicality, but to those who also follow me and Don’t understand how less is more, those followers would be bored by the same beat for 30secs straight. ALSO to make these videos, i have no click or other percussion in the background of my tracks so if there’s any fluctuations in my timing, that’s simply just comes down to my human feel at that point! No drummer is perfect 100% of the time period haha! i appreciate your comment, just letting you know where my mind is when i put these out, THANKS!!

So Gina.

Do you have any tracks or footage of you playing live?

I think it would be really great to see/hear your playing outside of social media.

I understand what you mean in regards to the short time frame you have on social media.

So Gina.

Do you have any tracks or footage of you playing live?

I think it would be really great to see/hear your playing outside of social media.

I understand what you mean in regards to the short time frame you have on social media.

Fair question.

@drummergirlgina - Gina, real question here, not meant to be snarky at all.......what is your goal by posting these short videos to social media? And then what is your goal of posting them here on DW?

She is a longtime poster- I remember her as a beginner and very young age. I think she is showing people how she has advanced-which Wow. I like the youthful energy in her playing. She’s doing her thing like many of us do. I would encourage her to keep doing these videos and maybe add some pocket covers- which I’m sure she could nail any cover song from what l’ve seen. The pocket impresses musicians and her chops will awe the audience. Maybe do covers in different genres to demonstrate you’re ready for any occasion. Which you are.

She is a longtime poster- I remember her as a beginner and very young age. I think she is showing people how she has advanced-which Wow. I like the youthful energy in her playing. She’s doing her thing like many of us do. I would encourage her to keep doing these videos and maybe add some pocket covers- which I’m sure she could nail any cover song from what l’ve seen. The pocket impresses musicians and her chops will awe the audience. Maybe do covers in different genres to demonstrate you’re ready for any occasion. Which you are.

I know she is a long time poster. My questions were genuine. What is the goal of the short vids now? What is the end game? I know she just did some recording with a band etc.

Your ideas on mixing things up is cool.

I know she is a long time poster. My questions were genuine. What is the goal of the short vids now? What is the end game? I know she just did some recording with a band etc.

Your ideas on mixing things up is cool.
yes i do have videos of me playing live, i play with a funk band, rock band and church service every single weekend, so even there i have some diverse style every week. i can post some of those as well, i’ve posted these short videos for the last 2Years because i primarily have a following on tiktok and instagram, the short “give it your all videos” are so popular these days with everyone’s lack of attention span hahaha, tiktok cracked the code with the short videos, and instagram reels are the same thing. i have quite a following on both and i really enjoy making the short videos for content because it challenges me to put my own style into only 30seconds worth of music. since i play pocket with the funk band, lots of double bass with the rock band, and contemporary worship with the church, every week. It’s a challenge way for me to just be me for 30 seconds since every week i play the roll of what i need to be in other bands. I’m having a lot of fun, and it’s the only time i can show off in a different way because live work is my primary work, and i would never step on anyone’s toes in a live performance or a studio session, i finally get to explore my own creativity and show off just for ME! Thanks!!

I enjoyed the HECK out of your clip! Great feel, a lot of enthusiasm and my head was bopping. Keep it up Gina!

yes i do have videos of me playing live, i play with a funk band, rock band and church service every single weekend, so even there i have some diverse style every week. i can post some of those as well, i’ve posted these short videos for the last 2Years because i primarily have a following on tiktok and instagram, the short “give it your all videos” are so popular these days with everyone’s lack of attention span hahaha, tiktok cracked the code with the short videos, and instagram reels are the same thing. i have quite a following on both and i really enjoy making the short videos for content because it challenges me to put my own style into only 30seconds worth of music. since i play pocket with the funk band, lots of double bass with the rock band, and contemporary worship with the church, every week. It’s a challenge way for me to just be me for 30 seconds since every week i play the roll of what i need to be in other bands. I’m having a lot of fun, and it’s the only time i can show off in a different way because live work is my primary work, and i would never step on anyone’s toes in a live performance or a studio session, i finally get to explore my own creativity and show off just for ME! Thanks!!
Wow you’re a busy lady. You have this well in hand- that’s awesome. I like the trend in shorter videos - it’s about my attention span anyways LOL. Here’s to your future successes which looks bright to me.

Back