Anyone ever shipped a snare drum to Canada?

Jim Bob

I have someone wanting to buy a snare from me that lives in BC, Canada. He says he'll send the pre-paid UPS shipping label to me. Curious to know what else it would entail on my part. Value is less than $600. Does paypal charge more for cross border payments? Any help is appreciated. I'm in Kentucky, US.

Hey Jim Bob!

I can't speak to what PayPal charges for international payment but in terms of shipping, you can simply affix the UPS pre-paid label along with a required customs form that is needed to be affixed to the outside of the box (in a sleeve). UPS can put the sticky clear sleeve on for you and I believe they should be able to supply the customs form as well. This form indicates the product, it's weight, description, and the Harmonized System code (HS) for the type of product being imported. This is important because each HS code has its own tariff schedule. The HS code for a snare drum is 92060020. You can look this up here https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=percussion.

Items imported into Canada are subject to a (up to 5%) Goods & Services Tax (GST). This value is calculated based upon the declared value that you state on your customs form and the percentate of tax is based on the HS code. Snare drums get a 4.8% tax in this case. The person receiving your drum will be responsible for this tax.

I hop this helps!

Cheers,
Adam

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 11.07.23 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 11.07.23 AM.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hey Jim Bob!

I can't speak to what PayPal charges for international payment but in terms of shipping, you can simply affix the UPS pre-paid label along with a required customs form that is needed to be affixed to the outside of the box (in a sleeve). UPS can put the sticky clear sleeve on for you and I believe they should be able to supply the customs form as well. This form indicates the product, it's weight, description, and the Harmonized System code (HS) for the type of product being imported. This is important because each HS code has its own tariff schedule. The HS code for a snare drum is 92060020. You can look this up here https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=percussion.

Items imported into Canada are subject to a (up to 5%) Goods & Services Tax (GST). This value is calculated based upon the declared value that you state on your customs form and the percentate of tax is based on the HS code. Snare drums get a 4.8% tax in this case. The person receiving your drum will be responsible for this tax.

I hop this helps!

Cheers,
Adam
Big help! Thank you sir! Here's what I discovered on paypal fees from CAD to US for $500....

Gretsch  CAD.jpg

Ebay used to have a shipping service for out of country shipping. You'd ship the drum to ebay (I think it may have even been to Kentucky) and they would handle it from there. Not sure if they still do this but I sold a few this way with no issues.

I shipped a box with a 13x9 tom in it 2 weeks ago from Rhode Island to NL, Canada. The cheapest shipping I found was USPS International Shipping. The box shipped at 13 lbs w/ $300 insurance and cost about $70 to send. I priced out a diamond plate slotted tom mount a few days ago to the same address and the 1lb box would have cost $42 to ship. So, the rule for shipping international is that the buyer will benefit by having more in the box. BTW, the customs form at the PO was simple to fill out. The box arrived in about 8 days.

Holy smokes looks like you've got some expert advice!
I was faced with shipping a snare to California a while back.. and was told by my bank that e-transfers were not a good idea.. as scammers can buy something with e-transfers, receive the goods, then go to their bank a few weeks later and say 'I never bought this - I've been hacked!'. So the bank is forced to refund the money.
I ended up taking it to a local drum (consignment) shop that is setup for shipping and doing secure transactions with a brick and mortar building etc. .. and they took care of everything - packaging, labelling, visa/ money etc.. I think it cost me an extra $50-70 but saved all the hassle.

Back