Shipping help/info

Tom E

Hello All,
Could anyone shed some light on shipping to Canada? I have a possibility to send a "very" vintage Gretsch 9x13 from RI to St. John's, Labrador, Canada and the UPS quote (with $300 insur.) is $415! I've never shipped anything out of the country but Jeez... is this what it actually costs?
Are there other options? I have been told of a company called MYUS.COM that is like 66% cheaper but it seems a bit sketchy to me. Has anyone ever used MYUS.COM?
Any advice would be appreciated, Thank you

A 13x9. I'd look into using the USPS.

I agree with this. I shipped a saxophone from the US to Japan a few years back and USPS was by far the cheapest way to go.

There are some caveats. USPS will tell you when it hits the border and is handed off to another entity (Canada Post?) they wash their hands of it.

It's been a few years, double check all this.

For international, USPS would be your best bet. There will be forms to fill out at the post office but it may be a bit cheaper or not. Depends on size and weight and where it’s going. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to take the package to the post office and find out.

I dont get it. Why is it so expensive to ship 1 little drum? Is it because it's going to Labrador, crossing a border, or both?

I bought tires online, twice. Shipping didnt cost that much put together. Tires are like 22x40 stacks and weigh 60lb.

I don’t know about Canada but I’ve just had a 13x9 Gretsch Tom shipped from Chicago to Australia for US$167.50 by USPS. I didn’t have insurance though.

I use USPS to ship all of our snares worldwide. Have for 11 years now. No problems. Once package leaves the US it's sometimes not trackable and insurance can lapse depending on where it's headed. Shipping forms are straight forward. If you say it's worth less than it is and it's a commercial sample it could help save your customer a few bucks "customs tax wise" on the receiving end. All countries are different. Singapore has some weird box size rules. Makes me wonder how anyone ships a bass drum or floor tom to Singapore.

I use USPS to ship all of our snares worldwide. Have for 11 years now. No problems. Once package leaves the US it's sometimes not trackable and insurance can lapse depending on where it's headed. Shipping forms are straight forward. If you say it's worth less than it is and it's a commercial sample it could help save your customer a few bucks "customs tax wise" on the receiving end. All countries are different. Singapore has some weird box size rules. Makes me wonder how anyone ships a bass drum or floor tom to Singapore.
Just shipped a 5x14 with case to England. 20 lb box for around $155.00. From Wisconsin.

Back