Has anyone ever seen this kind of L-arm?

Tom E

Hello All,
I wonder of anyone has ever seen this type of L-arm. It's 16" tall, has no knurling and appears to be made of solid aluminum as it's very lightweight and non- magnetic. The domed washer is aluminum as well. Might this be an early Radio King piece or something along those lines? Thank you for the input and knowledge...............Tom

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5537.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5537.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 16
  • thumbnail_IMG_5538.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5538.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 16
  • thumbnail_IMG_5539.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5539.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 16
Looks like an old school cymbal arm, the kind that goes on the bass drum:

20230325_104434.jpg

With no tilter, it's as old school as they come. Also not out of the realm of possibility that it's a homemade special - someone had a length of aluminum and bent to to 90 degrees, then put threads at the long end. Kind of an economical way to make a cymbal holder.

Hey..i want one of those...i don't care for the look of a cymbal stand holding the ride. That just looks cool and to me it's all about 😎 cool.

non-telescopic looks from 'like the 'Zutty Singleton" era ...

zuttysingleton1.jpg

zuttysingleton550aaa.jpg

zuttysingleton550lkjj.jpg

pre-telescoping
early 40s

Arthur James "Zutty" Singleton (May 14, 1898 – July 14, 1975)[1] was an American jazz drummer.

Tommy Potter, Max Kaminsky, Benny Morton, Zutty Singleton, Adele Girard, Teddy Wilson, and Joe Marsala, National Press Club, Washington, D.C. in 1939
Singleton was born in Bunkie, Louisiana, United States,[1] and raised in New Orleans. According to his Jazz Profiles biography, his unusual nickname, acquired in infancy, is the Creole word for "cute".[2] He was working professionally with Steve Lewis by 1915. He served with the United States Navy in World War I. After returning to New Orleans he worked with Papa Celestin, Big Eye Louis Nelson, John Robichaux, and Fate Marable. He left for St. Louis, Missouri, to play in Charlie Creath's band, then moved to Chicago.

Can anyone confirm if any of the American made sets came with an aluminum arm? It's the only alum one I've ever seen.

I'm guessing, but aluminum might point to it being made during WWII, since there was a lot of metal rationing going on, and I don't think aluminum was in as high demand. Drum manufacturers had to get creative during that period to limit the amount of metal used, like wood lugs and the like...

Back