Vicious Bark: a killer hihat part.

Yamaha Rider

Platinum Member
This just popped up on youtube: I'm very impressed. That hihat!
Great cover of the great (imo) drum part - from Umbrella, ella, ella...
Is he famous? And why would he be using a snare as a floor tom?

Last edited:
This tune seems to be on high rotation at the Walmart I shop at every weekend. It always catches my ear, especially that hi hat part. I’ll have to sit down behind the drums and try it now!

wouldn’t it be nice if these big time artists startling using live drummers again?
One would think that the prevalence of young drummers playing Dilla beats, break beats, and jungle on acoustic kits would lead to more what you're proposing. Not yet. I think it'll come.

It's a fairly simple tune. It's just 2 similar patterns back to back and looped. There is even a pause in the 16th note hats between the two patterns. No fills, no odd changes, no tempo shifts, nothing. At one point the pattern drops out and all you get is quiet kick and snare, but the placement doesnt change. And there are a few stops, but the pattern still stays the same. It literally just stops.

Learn the 2 patterns and you can play the song.

One would think that the prevalence of young drummers playing Dilla beats, break beats, and jungle on acoustic kits would lead to more what you're proposing. Not yet. I think it'll come.
I agree. Drummers are adapting acoustically to what is being programmed quite well. It's just a matter of time.

Yeah, it’s not like there’s a shortage of great drummers. sometimes I think live drumming might come back as producers seek more organic sounds. I would like to think things will go “ full circle” Perhaps wishful thinking on my part !

It's a fairly simple tune. It's just 2 similar patterns back to back and looped. There is even a pause in the 16th note hats between the two patterns. No fills, no odd changes, no tempo shifts, nothing. At one point the pattern drops out and all you get is quiet kick and snare, but the placement doesnt change. And there are a few stops, but the pattern still stays the same. It literally just stops.

Learn the 2 patterns and you can play the song.

I agree. Drummers are adapting acoustically to what is being programmed quite well. It's just a matter of time.
Well I'll be ... I hadn't realised all those fills were his own ad-libs and aren't on the original!
Good news for learning the song - and confirms my belief in 'Less Is More', too.

I see a lot of real drummers on stage with these acts. It’s really only the low budget up and comers who still use machines only.

I've been going crazy with Corey Wong's collaborations. This is my favorite challenging hats song I've been shedding on from Nate Smith of late-I love how it goes from speedy to slow.

I see a lot of real drummers on stage with these acts. It’s really only the low budget up and comers who still use machines only.
I notice that too. It makes wonder, do the artists prefer live drummers for the sound In concert setting? Flexibility? The visual accepts? Preconceived conception of what a “ pop” concert stage should look like?

So....the hi hat part.....Yeah...open on beat 1. Like "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes.
That beat was inspired by an R&B song beat, whose name I cannot remember.
Are those 15" hats that dude is playing? He is good.
Plays with authority (in his studio) I would hire him immediately for my R&B band.

I notice that too. It makes wonder, do the artists prefer live drummers for the sound In concert setting? Flexibility? The visual accepts? Preconceived conception of what a “ pop” concert stage should look like?
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

After about 15 seconds of this I searched for Oh Calcutta and Amerie 1 Thing to remind myself of what it is supposed sound and feel like.

For me anyway

Back