New drum book - Time Initiation - out now!

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Edit

Hello everyone,
I am pleased to announce the release of my new book, Time Initiation, now available in two binding versions.
This method is designed to be studied before or in parallel with my previous book, Time Manipulation.
Over the years, I've developed a foundational practice structure through my teaching. Having taught for many years at the International School of Geneva (Ecolint), this book is bilingual English and French.
It has a complete bilingual Theory section, but there were initially no instructions for the exercises because I explained them in person during the lessons.
A year ago, in response to another school wishing to use my method, I undertook a comprehensive revision to make it accessible to the public. The number of pages more than doubled, and I introduced exciting new concepts, such as Pattern Morphing, a musical and enriching approach to tackling the exercises.
These concepts will captivate drummers of all levels and are applicable to Time Manipulation as well.
To facilitate your study or teaching of the book's concepts, I have created a little more than 5 hours of audio content available for download in MP3 format.
Whether you want to teach or learn the drums with a solid foundation or simply improve your skills, this book will guide you and provide years of practice.

My books are available in two bindings, in English or/and French:
In my own shop (paperback & coil)
At Lulu.com (paperback & coil)
At Amazon (paperback)
At Hudson Music (eBooks)

More infohttps://tinyurl.com/yyepmt95
Plus d'infohttp://tinyurl.com/y8ufx7pe

Last edited:
Hi Alain,

That sounds really interesting. Is it mainly a concept based around the manipulation of rhythm, or more geared towards specific drum kit applications? Is there anywhere I can read more about the concept itself? I'm always interested in rhythmic theories and concepts.

Looks great, either way!

Best,
Jonathan

Last edited:
Thanks for your interest Jonathan,

This book contains a lot of information and has 117 pages. For a long time, I have had a habit of writing 16-bar exercises that have become somewhat of my signature. These exercises work very well for both groove patterns and accent patterns.

In my classes, I have always taught students to take two patterns from a page and combine them to work on two-bar patterns.

Typically, I have only offered a few patterns and have not worked on them systematically due to the vast number of possible combinations. In fact, 16 one-bar patterns can be combined into 16 sets of 15 two-bar patterns, totaling 240 patterns. While this number may seem daunting, I have recently devised a method for working on these 240 possibilities in a simple and fun way without having to write the resulting patterns. This methodology, which I call Pattern Morphing, applies to both groove exercises and accent exercises in my methods.

Maybe I will tell a little more about it later, but it will be fully described in the book, with written examples and audio.

Hi Alan,

That sounds really interesting. Is it mainly a concept based around the manipulation of rhythm, or more geared towards specific drum kit applications? Is there anywhere I can read more about the concept itself? I'm always interested in rhythmic theories and concepts.

Looks great, either way!

Best,
Jonathan

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me. By the sound of it, you think about and approach these things in a very similar way to me; quite systematically and methodically.

It sounds really interesting, so I'll be sure to explore it further.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your interest Jonathan,

This book contains a lot of information and is just over 120 pages long. For a long time, I have had a habit of writing 16-bar exercises that have become somewhat of my signature. These exercises work very well for both groove patterns and accent patterns.

In my classes, I have always taught students to take two patterns from a page and combine them to work on two-bar patterns.

Typically, I have only offered a few patterns and have not worked on them systematically due to the vast number of possible combinations. In fact, 16 one-bar patterns can be combined into 16 sets of 15 two-bar patterns, totaling 240 patterns. While this number may seem daunting, I have recently devised a method for working on these 240 possibilities in a simple and fun way without having to write the resulting patterns. This methodology, which I call Pattern Morphing, applies to both groove exercises and accent exercises in my methods.

Maybe I will tell a little more about it later, but it will be fully described in the book, with written examples and audio.

Initially, it was a collection of exercises intended for students who were not yet ready for my previously published method, "Time Manipulation".

I wrote theoretical explanations in English and French, as I taught in a bilingual environment, and instead of placing these theoretical explanations at the beginning of the book, I put them at the end, because I think it's tedious to approach theory before having had some practice.

Over the years and revisions, this book has expanded and become much more than a beginner's guide, and I have observed that even advanced students who studied it made great progress.

I had not yet made this book public because, apart from the theoretical section, I had not written explanations for the exercises since I provided them during my classes.

Recently, some drum teachers expressed their desire to know about this book and to be able to use it in their teaching. So I started adding explanations and exercises, and it went from 55 to 120 pages.

This book is the result of over 40 years of practice, teaching, and writing. Some exercises were written over the years, while others were developed more recently.

I introduce a concept called "Pattern Morphing", which allows you to work on a large number of rhythmic combinations in a playful and constructive way.

I look forward to introducing you to it.

Here is the last version of the cover:

TI_2023 03 32 - Front_040pc.jpg

Here is a post about Pattern Morphing, a concept that I introduce in my new book.

Here is a spontaneous testimonial for my new book, thank you Matthias!

"Congratulations to your Time Initiation book! It's a great book! Very practical with lots of very musical conceptual ideas. All grooves and fills are not just exercises but are the ones which can always be used in a musical context. The concept of repeating a pattern 8, 4 or 2 times and then directly continue to the next one without stopping makes total sense for song form and endurance. I also like the accent pattern concepts".

Matthias Brodbeck
Drummer, educator, Zürich Switzerland.

Back