Newby - Snare Question

It's definitely the head, it's not like cellophane at all, I'll see what I can order online.
I'm in a rural area, there are no shops, so that's why I found my way to Youtube and this forum.
The rest of it with different cording is easy, but one clarification - does soldered side go toward or away from the snare head ?
Up, down, right, wrong are all relative terms at this point.
Thanks again

It's definitely the head, it's not like cellophane at all, I'll see what I can order online.
I'm in a rural area, there are no shops, so that's why I found my way to Youtube and this forum.
The rest of it with different cording is easy, but one clarification - does soldered side go toward or away from the snare head ?
Thanks again
Your snare wires are definitely upside down. Solder down so the wires lay flat on the head. Get yourself a thinner snare side head, some grosgrain ribbon, and turn the snare wires over and im sure youll start getting a decent sound out of it.

does soldered side go toward or away from the snare head ?
Solder against head.

Ditch the shoestring. It's too thick. Use a strap or thin paracord.

To properly set the strainer, starting without wires:

1: Loosen the knob at least half way, keep the lever engaged
2: Flip the drum over
3: Center the wires
4: Keeping the wires in place, lock down the butt end
5: Keeping the wires in place, lock down the throwoff end
6: Flip the drum rightside up
7: Tighten the knob until the wires stop rattling

That's it. You should now be able to turn the wires on and off.

Thanks again

get a Remo Ambassador Hazy snare side!!! It is a great head!! (I am sort of biased...it is what I use)

Yup I agree with everyone else:

• Make sure you have a "snare side" head. When you get it, it'll probably feel about as thick as a piece of paper and probably be pretty wrinkled-looking.
  • Use plastic strips or thin cord.
  • Flip the snare wires.
This should fix it!

I am very impressed that a 70-year-old gentleman has decided to take up drums. Word of caution: Once you learn a few simple beats and start to get comfortable on the kit, you will then become a "DRUMMER" and no longer a "GENTLEMAN"! ;)

I am very impressed that a 70-year-old gentleman has decided to take up drums. Word of caution: Once you learn a few simple beats and start to get comfortable on the kit, you will then become a "DRUMMER" and no longer a "GENTLEMAN"! ;)

a POOR ex-gentleman as all your money will suddenly be replaced by gear

• Haha
Reactions: A J
Thanks again
The most common snare side heads are 3 mil…Remo Ambassador clear, Ambassador hazy, Evans 300, and Aquarian Classic Clear. There are plenty of other options but for me they’re too heavy or too light. My favorite one is the clear Ambassador but they’ll all do. But yes, get rid of that hideous tone killing thick one!

The most common snare side heads are 3 mil…Remo Ambassador clear, Ambassador hazy, Evans 300, and Aquarian Classic Clear. There are plenty of other options but for me they’re too heavy or too light. My favorite one is the clear Ambassador but they’ll all do. But yes, get rid of that hideous tone killing thick one!
I've always used a Remo Diplomat (or other brand equivalent) for a snare side head. Honestly, I didn't know an Ambassador would even work!

I've always used a Remo Diplomat (or other brand equivalent) for a snare side head. Honestly, I didn't know an Ambassador would even work!
I like it. Ymmv.

Back