Starting up a new YouTube channel -- because I can

Duct tape makes a good memory lock…Lol…I thought only I knew it makes a memory lock ;)
Sorry to reveal ALL your secrets Jimmy :D

So if I were to rename the channel - and I'm seriously thinking about it - anyone got some ideas? Thinking "Al's Drum (something)" like it's a café or pub or something - a chill hang with some talking and some music. Any thoughts?

Here's your idea logo-ized Andy...

drumhang1_wh.png

drumhang1.png

I wanted to say thanks to all of you who jumped over to that other website to watch a spell and drop a like and/or subscribe! I'll be taking the rebranding feedback to the bank after the next couple of videos with the old branding are complete and shipped. Then I'll switch over to the Drum Hang thing and we'll be all cool in school, as I think the kids say.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be posting the following content (in no particular order):
- Review of the affordably priced Rode M5 Matched Pair Pencil Condenser Mics
- Being a Confident Drummer
- What's the Deal With Cajons, Anyways?
- An Ode to Swizzle Sticks
- An Ode to 6/8 (My Favorite Time Signature)
- My Snare Tuning Tips
- My Uncommon Bass Drum Microphone
- The Five Most Important Things I've Learned as a Drummer

Oops, I did it again! Here's that review video for the Rode M5 Matched Pair.

Oops, I did it again! Here's that review video for the Rode M5 Matched Pair.
Al, I’ve used Rode NT5’s for live stage (where we have our own setup) for the last 12years, and as replacements at events where I’ve not been happy with overheads provided. I’ve never tried the M5’s, but the NT5’s are bombproof. I find them a bit “wooly" in the lower mids & a touch “glassy” in the higher frequencies for recording, but nothing that a bit of mild EQ can’t fix. Great for the money, & I can only assume the M5 works great in the same context too.

Al, I’ve used Rode NT5’s for live stage (where we have our own setup) for the last 12years, and as replacements at events where I’ve not been happy with overheads provided. I’ve never tried the M5’s, but the NT5’s are bombproof. I find them a bit “wooly" in the lower mids & a touch “glassy” in the higher frequencies for recording, but nothing that a bit of mild EQ can’t fix. Great for the money, & I can only assume the M5 works great in the same context too.
Indeed they seem to! I was very pleased at how they captured the kit, both in concert with the other mics and by themselves, for the price point. In a very careful listenback I can hear a bit more fullness in the Oktavas, but I think the M5s are a very serviceable option at the price point, especially at the price I got!

The channel rebrand is complete - let's see how everyone likes Al's Drum Hang!

It took me a long time to feel confident enough to edit and post this video - about confidence! Ha!

Here's a sneak peek of an upcoming video :cool:

585QVCjUHHcMDhMCkBoDiJMyS5yM24CXvxYo_JAz2cFWtTKhh0SPMfuNZXjsm7pkHxWAIPl9rxKu1ZE=s640-c-fcrop64=1,00000027ffffffd8-nd-v1

I took more than 20 cymbals in sizes from 8" to 20" - splashes, crashes, trashes, chinas and rides - and mixed and matched to make 15 unique hi-hat sounds. Check out the results...

Great hang, & every combination useable somewhere.

I have my go to sets that cover a lot of ground, but would have zero issue with combining just about anything if it can generated a specific vibe I’m searching for.

Live stage is a different consideration to studio however. Live, I need definition, but not too much. My 15” old school Amedias deliver that. A bit less volume than most, & that serves my internal live mix goal to slightly background the hats.

Great hang, & every combination useable somewhere.

I have my go to sets that cover a lot of ground, but would have zero issue with combining just about anything if it can generated a specific vibe I’m searching for.

Live stage is a different consideration to studio however. Live, I need definition, but not too much. My 15” old school Amedias deliver that. A bit less volume than most, & that serves my internal live mix goal to slightly background the hats.
Seems like a good follow up discussion - when and where to use different hi-hats. Hmm :unsure:

Coming this weekend - a real Cinderella story ;)

1676402811629.png

Back