Nordic vs Keller shells

look at the shells stacked waiting for finishing here->
the formula/number of ply/ species/ ply direction stacking/ is the company' specific
just made off-premises
"the formula/number of ply/ species/ ply direction stacking/ is the company' specific
just made off-premises"

Exactly what Tama/Gretsch/Natal/Sonor/ etc do with their off-premises manufacturing in Asia.

Isn't the whole kit put together in Asia?
The difference for me is when the basic shell arrives, then it is edged by the builder, assembled by the builder, QC'ed by the builder and passed as worthy by the builder. This for me is different from drums rolling off a production line in a factory.

LOTS of them.

Gretsch
Pork Pie
OCDP USA
Spaun
Ayotte
GMS
Older DW drums were keller
Risen
SJC
Ddrum USA
Truth

In addition, one-man shops use Keller, Nordic, etc. That's not to say that any of these companies are inferior! Many of these companies make incredible kits.

If I'm wrong about any of these, let me know!
This list is correct, from what I’ve researched—at least regarding N&C, Spaun, Pork Pie. They all use Nordic, as do Reverie Drums and Portland Drums.

I recently learned that Bucks County Drums out of Pennsylvania makes its own ply shells. So, there is a boutique shop making its own shells in contrast to most that use Nordic (or used to use Keller).

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought the whole point of a drum company was to make their own drums not get someone else to make the shell and then add hardware. Who are the companies doing this?
I've just been looking at getting a new kit and it's between the British Drum Company and Cambridge Drums, both of whom make a big deal about how they construct their own shells and the methods they use to do this
Cambridge drums look really fantastic. Choice of woods and veneers. I’m going to order a snare v soon. Guy I know has a kit currently bring made.

The (ply) Horizon Series is the best contemporary drum set I've played. It has to come down to the interesting design decisions.
Also, the Alloy Classic is killer. I used two on the Dire Straits 'On Every Street' tour (as well as a Horizon set).

Chris, my Alloy Classic is the only metal snare I own (not counting a 12" soprano).....heck of a drum.

I have looked hard at a Horizon kit........I don't "need" a third kit right now, but if I did the Horizon is on my short list.

I have no experience of the reissue Horizon sets, only the early 90's version.
Had a Horizon kit back then. Phenomenal drums! Unfortunately had to part ways with it. I have a 15 year old CD Maples kit. Keller shells also, and is just as lovely. But a little brighter not having the mahogany interior ply.

I would be curious if anyone knows any drum product lines that have used Nordic for a bit and what the initial reviews were/are of those drums.

It will be interesting to track the impressions of the Nordic shelled drums over time compared to the Keller shelled versions or similar Keller shelled drums.

While I know Nordic makes a heck of a shell as does Keller, sometimes it isn't the best made shells that create magic......let's be clear here, any modern shell making process is light years more consistent and precise than anything from 40-80years ago, however some of those old drums "do a thing" that is very pleasing and sought after by players. Some of that is the extra aging of the wood etc. but perhaps the looseness in the process created some drums with magic and a whole lot of out of round firewood.......

Time will tell

So right before N&C changed mgt. recently I was lucky enough to pick up a snare at the factory since they are relatively local to me. I was able to speak at length with the "old guard" there about this exact thing. They had made the swap to Nordic on certain shells and were in the process of swapping all their non-steam bent shells over. Keller's drum business is a small part of what the overall Keller company makes and they were not as "enthusiastic" about the drum lines and investing in the product and/or service. Lead times were insane and that meant N&C lead times were impacted etc.

Nordic makes an amazing shell, and like anything else you get what you pay for.

I think you would be surprised to know who is already using Nordic at this point
So for N&C, up until recently, the CD and Horizon were Keller (now Nordic) but all the Walnut series was in house on the Witt equipment...so the walnuts will go Nordic too? What about the 1st generation Horizon, who did these shells?

So for N&C, up until recently, the CD and Horizon were Keller (now Nordic) but all the Walnut series was in house on the Witt equipment...so the walnuts will go Nordic too? What about the 1st generation Horizon?
and the kit shell kits a lot are tulip wood.

So for N&C, up until recently, the CD and Horizon were Keller (now Nordic) but all the Walnut series was in house on the Witt equipment...so the walnuts will go Nordic too? What about the 1st generation Horizon, who did these shells?

When I was at the factory taking my tour and speaking with Jay I didn't get the impression any ply drums were made in Granville, only steam bent solid ply, but perhaps they were doing walnut snare ply only but not enough tooling to do whole kits in volume. Regardless, he clearly said they were switching from Keller to Nordic so I assume whatever ply kits Keller was making are now Nordic.

I am also curious who did the initial Horizon shells.

When I was at the factory taking my tour and speaking with Jay I didn't get the impression any ply drums were made in Granville, only steam bent solid ply, but perhaps they were doing walnut snare ply only but not enough tooling to do whole kits in volume. Regardless, he clearly said they were switching from Keller to Nordic so I assume whatever ply kits Keller was making are now Nordic.

I am also curious who did the initial Horizon shells.
I was going by what they stated on their walnut snare description, which I caught based on mentioned on another thread. Was curious if the Witt equipment was ever used for Horizon series 1st gen.

The all horizontal, Walnut ply snare drums represent the first time in our history we have offered drums we did not design. Originally the brain child of Ian Witt, we were intrigued by his designs when we met him at NAMM. We released a limited run of Walnut snares a few years back which were well received and sold out quickly. As these drums represented a significant new sound to our palette of snares we decided to revisit this with Ian, only to learn he wanted to concentrate on his Erie Drum business. We both agreed that a boutique custom drum company with Noble and Cooley’s heritage would be the ideal place to ensure his legacy and we continue to offer these fine instruments to the drum community. These are now made exclusively in our factory using the same equipment and specifications to our exacting standards.

Walnut is noted for its big, warm and dry tone with a terrific low end. Combined with an eight lug design these snares have a truly organic, retro vibe while maintaining the classic Noble and Cooley personality.

https://www.noblecooley.com/walnut-1

I thought the tulip wood was local? Who is making them?
Well, they use Tulip wood in many of their kits. Their web site says they've been using tulip wood since Civil War days. Yes it's a North American wood. Natal uses North American Tulip wood in their Cafe Racer kits, too. But the Natal shells are made in Asia.

N&C Tulip Wood Kits

I guess Nordic makes the N&C Tulip wood shells?

Jay specifically told me when I was there in the summer that the walnut shells were still imported from Italy. I asked this because information I gleaned here suggested otherwise.

Back