So my paiste signature crash just cracked...help picking a new crash!!

drums32

Hey guys, my 18" paiste signature fast crash just cracked about a week ago, im going to try to drill it to prevent spreading but im looking for a new crash. I just got back from guitarcenter setting my eyes on a sabian aaxplosion 18 inch crash, i then realized after i hit it i want something with more of a quicker attack and decay. I then found an aaxplosion 18" fast crash and a zildjian a custom 18" crash. Its down to those two. The zildjian sounds more brighter and musical but the aaxplosion fast crash sounds powerful and explosive. I need your opinion, i currently have an a custom ride 20", 16" hhx evolution crash, 12" hhx evolution splash, and xs20 hats which im definetly going to upgrade also. let me know what u think! thanks!

Well I have the 16, 17, and 18" Sabian Fast Crash, and they are great cymbals. It is not meant to be beaten to death though. It will end up like your other cymbal. I do not like the regular x-plosion's as much. Being at Gavin Harrison's clinic last week reaffirmed to my why I don't like Ziidjian's. They are sounding more and more like Paiste's. Very manufactured.

Well I have the 16, 17, and 18" Sabian Fast Crash, and they are great cymbals. It is not meant to be beaten to death though. It will end up like your other cymbal. I do not like the regular x-plosion's as much. Being at Gavin Harrison's clinic last week reaffirmed to my why I don't like Ziidjian's. They are sounding more and more like Paiste's. Very manufactured.

Yea the regular xplosions dont open up as easy so im not a big fan either. I bought my paiste signature fast crash over 2 years ago used from guitarcenter so i dont know how the previous owner used to play it but i would hit my cymbal hard somtimes but i never go straight into it i try to use technique. To me the zildjian a custom crash didnt feel too much thicker than the aaxplosion fast crash though.

Not sure what to think about that statement.

I would check out some Signature full/power crashes, Twenty Crashes, and Zildjian A Custom Projection Crashes.

I would check out some Signature full/power crashes, Twenty Crashes, and Zildjian A Custom Projection Crashes.

How about the K customs or even an hhx evolution 18" crash?

I really like the aaxplosion fast crash 18 inch but I'll check those out

Hey guys, my 18" paiste signature fast crash just cracked about a week ago, im going to try to drill it to prevent spreading but im looking for a new crash. I just got back from guitarcenter setting my eyes on a sabian aaxplosion 18 inch crash, i then realized after i hit it i want something with more of a quicker attack and decay. I then found an aaxplosion 18" fast crash and a zildjian a custom 18" crash. Its down to those two. The zildjian sounds more brighter and musical but the aaxplosion fast crash sounds powerful and explosive. I need your opinion, i currently have an a custom ride 20", 16" hhx evolution crash, 12" hhx evolution splash, and xs20 hats which im definetly going to upgrade also. let me know what u think! thanks!
Hi Drums32: I had a fantastic sounding Paiste 18 inch medium cymbol in the early 70s. Great harmonics - loved the crash sound but one day I heard a sizzling sound from this cymbol and I discovered a half inch crack on the edge. I have no idea how I cracked this cymbol. I sadly retired this cymbol and in August 1973 I simply bought a new Zildjian 18 inch medium to replace it. I buy only Zildjians, Sabians (Zildjian brother) or Meinls now. I have never cracked a Zildjian cymbol, only this one Paiste mentioned above. Good luck.

I thought the Signatures had a reputation for cracking.
I had a Signature full ride and liked it, but grew tired of its sound after a while.

I thought the Signatures had a reputation for cracking.
I played my Signature (and Sound Formula) pies for about 10 years before I noticed a crack in an 18" Fast Crash. I was heartbroken 'cuz I loved that cymbal (to death, apparently). I took it to the local metal recycle place and got $3 for it. I drank a beer in its memory. I confess to watching Paiste's videos on proper cymbal playing technique afterwards. The replacement 18" Fast Crash I'm now using has been rockin' since then, about 15 years.

On the flip side, I have a 16" Sound Formula China that I've beat to a pulp and it won't crack. 🤷‍♂️

ive never cracked a cymbal, but i live i so cal so its always warm, and i don t hit that hard. If you play Metal try the Paiste 2002 Rude. Super loud and tough Cymbal.

Did you not like that one? If you did like it, why not purchase it again?

Last edited:
Drums32 hasn’t been seen on this forum since 2012 and started this thread in 2011. Hopefully by now drums32 has replaced the cracked crash and is living happily ever after. 🙂
hahaha can we please all STOP digging these old threads up and replying to nonexistant members, we look foolish!!
Old relevent threads are ok, old threads where you are replying to a question from 12 years ago....foolish

MODS...please ask Brenhard if we can archive threads without action for maybe 4 years. let new people ask new questions. no one would even remember this thread so just eliminate it from searches.

hahaha can we please all STOP digging these old threads up and replying to nonexistant members, we look foolish!!
Old relevent threads are ok, old threads where you are replying to a question from 12 years ago....foolish

MODS...please ask Brenhard if we can archive threads without action for maybe 4 years. let new people ask new questions. no one would even remember this thread so just eliminate it from searches.
I don’t agree entirely. I’ve found good info in searching old threads at times.

Back