Something weird is going on with my bass drum batter head.

Yes it is a 20”. That’s weird that you’ve had the same issue on 20” bass drums. I’ve had this kit for about 10 years and this problem only began sometime last spring or summer. And it’s not like I had just put on that head, as I’ve had it on there for about two years now. It just suddenly decided it didn’t like it’s logo facing up.

That would drive me crazy also .
If you’re still experiencing it I go the wax route. A lite coat on the bearing edge and maybe a little on the head 👍🏼.

Ah damn. Just play it I reckon. If you use a felt beater at least the head will get an evenly distributed battering as it rotates around. When you’re ready for a head change wait and see if the new head does it.

I've never experienced this on any kit of mine. I was wondering if it's something about the grain at the edge not being quite parallel/perpindicular, or the edge cut itself not being completely flat or with consistent position within the shell's thickness around the circumference... but then the thing about 20" drums came up. Mine have all been 22" save for one 18".

I suggest placing the beater patch exactly in the center of the head, then, if you like the impact spot to be somewhat higher than center, you still can- just move it up toward the top edge of the patch. Then, as the head rotates, the beater-to-patch position relationship won't change.

**Edit: I now realize you use a double pedal. It looks like the one you use doesn't position the beaters equally off-center. That could be the issue. Regardless, if you can position them that way, then you can do the same thing with the larger version of the Remo Falam Slam patch, except each beater would be at around 11 and 1, rather than a single beater at 12.

'Large Silver-Dot/ Black CS_Dot type Patch " so it can spin to it's heart content and not matter.
Wait. You already thought of that?
: D

Last edited:
I've never experienced this on any kit of mine. I was wondering if it's something about the grain at the edge not being quite parallel/perpindicular, or the edge cut itself not being completely flat or with consistent position within the shell's thickness around the circumference... but then the thing about 20" drums came up. Mine have all been 22" save for one 18".

I suggest placing the beater patch exactly in the center of the head, then, if you like the impact spot to be somewhat higher than center, you still can- just move it up toward the top edge of the patch. Then, as the head rotates, the beater-to-patch position relationship won't change.

**Edit: I now realize you use a double pedal. It looks like the one you use doesn't position the beaters equally off-center. That could be the issue. Regardless, if you can position them that way, then you can do the same thing with the larger version of the Remo Falam Slam patch, except each beater would be at around 11 and 1, rather than a single beater at 12.
Since it's a 20" bass drum, if I put the beater patch dead center I think my beater would miss it entirely. I think I have the beater positioned about 2" above dead center (which makes it 1" above center on a 22" kick and dead center on a 24" kick, FYI). Plus the slave beater, which of course is off-center as well.

'Large Silver-Dot/ Black CS_Dot type Patch " so it can spin to it's heart content and not matter.
Wait. You already thought of that?
: D
I suppose that would work. But I don't really want a giant patch covering a large swath of the head. I'll give the surf board wax thing a try. Since I don't surf, this will give me an excuse to buy Mr. Zog's Original Sex Wax. :)

I suppose that would work. But I don't really want a giant patch covering a large swath of the head.
(It'd be the same as having a CS Black Dot BD head) lol You know Tony Williams and all ; )..

Since it's a 20" bass drum, if I put the beater patch dead center I think my beater would miss it entirely. I think I have the beater positioned about 2" above dead center (which makes it 1" above center on a 22" kick and dead center on a 24" kick, FYI). Plus the slave beater, which of course is off-center as well.

I suppose that would work. But I don't really want a giant patch covering a large swath of the head.
IIRC, the single Falam Slam patches come in 2 sizes- at least, I've seen 2 sizes- dunno if one was discontinued in favor of the other, or if they currently coexist. I was thinking the larger of the two could still get your beaters close to where you like them, provided you could adjust the slave beater to be equally off-center as the main beater. (Some double pedals can do this, some not.)

IIRC, the single Falam Slam patches come in 2 sizes- at least, I've seen 2 sizes- dunno if one was discontinued in favor of the other, or if they currently coexist. I was thinking the larger of the two could still get your beaters close to where you like them, provided you could adjust the slave beater to be equally off-center as the main beater. (Some double pedals can do this, some not.)
If the sex wax—I mean surf wax—doesn't work, then maybe I'll look into this.

If the sex wax—I mean surf wax—doesn't work, then maybe I'll look into this.
I’m thinking you should just get a tube of clear silicone sealant, load up a caulk gun, and just pack up that gap between the flesh hoop and the drum. That ought to keep that thing nice and solid.

I’m thinking you should just get a tube of clear silicone sealant, load up a caulk gun, and just pack up that gap between the flesh hoop and the drum. That ought to keep that thing nice and solid.
That sounds a little extreme to me. Like never-again-remove-that-head-because-it's-stuck-on-there-for-good levels of extreme.

A light coat of surf wax sounds way better.

That sounds a little extreme to me. Like never-again-remove-that-head-because-it's-stuck-on-there-for-good levels of extreme.

A light coat of surf wax sounds way better.
oh, it is totally absurd, but the silicone should totally clean off after you break the bead. It might even remain elastic enough to allow for tuning. I intended to be facetious, but it might actually be effective in a DI Why? sort of way.

You could still add some nails for good measure. Another alternative is to embrace the spin. Throw some dubs on your reso:

Does it rotate the other way in the southern hemisphere?

If it is causing some OCD problems, get yourself some double sided tape. The super thin stuff used for window film. It will conform to the bearing edge and stick to the head. It doesnt damage wood or finishes when removed.

Wax on the bearing edge seems counterproductive, to me, considering some people lube their bearing edge with the stuff for easier tuning.

The silicone idea isn't all that bad, IF you just used dabs of it. But an easier, and cleaner solution would be to simply tape the flesh hoop to the hoop. You could use gaff tape or some other tape that won't leave residue. Even 3M Command strips bridged across would work.

Like so, except 180 degrees, so it's under the pedal (and of course, on the batter side):

FBF29089-6411-430F-B6B8-A4C62141E729.jpeg

Wax on the bearing edge seems counterproductive, to me, considering some people lube their bearing edge with the stuff for easier tuning.

The silicone idea isn't all that bad, IF you just used dabs of it. But an easier, and cleaner solution would be to simply tape the flesh hoop to the hoop. You could use gaff tape or some other tape that won't leave residue. Even 3M Command strips bridged across would work.

Like so, except 180 degrees, so it's under the pedal (and of course, on the batter side):

View attachment 130003
That's a good idea. Though I'm a little concerned about tape residue, even with gaffer's tape. I have a roll of gaffer's tape, and if I leave it on something long enough (say 2 years or more), it will leave residue. But I suppose as long as I change it out every year it shouldn't be an issue.

Do you know if 3M Command strips will leave residue if left on a surface for 2+ years?

what you think you're going to stop it. O no you're not ; )

Play as a single pedal for a month (come on you can do it) see if it turns then. Process of Eliminatione'

Back