Alternative to Moon gels?

It's different, but maybe not better: I use one or two small rectangles of Dr. Scholls Mole Foam (not the Mole Skin) on my snare drum.

It's a "set it and forget it" deal for me, I don't move it around. I'm not sure how long the adhesive lasts, but it's been fine on there for 6 months. Im also not sure if the adhesive mars the head after a while, if you care about that kind of thing.
51bHXG1KyGL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1
I used to use Moongels but now I use Gaff tape for damping.

It removes easily and doesn't leave a sticky residue behind, nor does it stain drum heads like Moongels do. It's easy to apply as much or as little tape as needed whereas Moongels can be a bit too much sometimes.

I'm looking more for moongel like products that don't stain the heads. I guess gaff tape could be decent alternative. I've seen some honey colored type moongels. Anyone know about those?

I'm looking more for moongel like products that don't stain the heads. I guess gaff tape could be decent alternative. I've seen some honey colored type moongels. Anyone know about those?

They make clear moongel.

I used to use Moongels but now I use Gaff tape for damping.

It removes easily and doesn't leave a sticky residue behind, nor does it stain drum heads like Moongels do. It's easy to apply as much or as little tape as needed whereas Moongels can be a bit too much sometimes.
Same here - plus, it's always handy to have a roll of gaffer's tape in your kit.... 1001 uses. OK, not like the Flexseal guy, but still pretty handy!

I'm actually moving in the opposite direction. I used gaff tape for a long long long long long time because why spend money on moon gels that just lose their adhesion and melt in your Tom Tom case.

But every once in a while a sound man would give me one or I find one somewhere and start using it, and I slowly started to like them a little more. I have to use a lot more gaff tape to get the same effect, so it must be the weight of the gel that adds to the muffling that I like

There are number of 'drum wallets' or mufflers that can be applied/removed. I have something similar to below (not the same) and gives instant access to a muffled or open tone which I just have for a snare in mid performance. The Honey Gels are more for lighter muffling or even for toms if I want that particular sound for that moment.

Gaff tape is a commitment; once it is applied, getting it off or changing locations has issues and certain not in mid performance. Same with head selection, you are now married to that sound. I'd rather have options personally.

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 11.59.37 AM Small.jpeg

I find moon gels messy and nasty. Anybody used anything different that they recommend
RN i only muffle my snares. bought some moongel knock offs on amazon and they stick really well. have 4 on my Maple snare with black Dot Remo. On my Kapur i use a wrist sweat band taped to the hoop so i can flip it off easily when i want more overtone. I have Evans Genera Dry coated head on that.

Back