Ludwig P88 Butt Plate - Not Universal?

Juniper

Gold Member
Finally got around to installing my P88 to replace my P85 snare strainer on my 2013 Black Beauty.

So far, impressions of the new strainer are cool and I’m hoping that it’s a solid replacement over time, that’s less temperamental than my previous P85.

However, I do have one slight gripe. The new butt plate cannot be installed on my snare (as it comes) as the holes aren’t the same sizes.

Have Ludwig had different drill hole placements over the years? Even in recent years (given my snare is around ten years old?)

Not massively fussed or bothered as I can keep using the existing and slightly different looking P32 butt plate and keep the fancy looking and new P35 lying around in my spares toolbox for a rainy day, just seems odd that the descriptions on the box give the impression both are direct/universal replacements - with no drilling needed.

Sure I could drill some holes in the new one and make it work if I was that bothered about them matching - for aesthetic reasons (it’s a good thing I don’t practice Feng Shui!!!)

Anyone else come across this slightly bizarre situation?

56DF80EE-4CAF-4304-B9FD-11784C719E10.jpeg

The 35 lines up with the monstrosity also known as the P33. I think there are holes drilled on the 35 that line up with a P32 but aren’t tapped for threads. I tried doing all that, but screwed it up and eventually went with the INDe universal butt plate, which will definitely line up with the 32 holes.

5D9E166D-BB22-4F13-8911-13CA955588BE.jpeg

The 35 lines up with the monstrosity also known as the P33. I think there are holes drilled on the 35 that line up with a P32 but aren’t tapped for threads. I tried doing all that, but screwed it up and eventually went with the INDe universal butt plate, which will definitely line up with the 32 holes.

View attachment 128836
Glad to hear it’s not just me then.

Thats great to know Ryan, appreciate the heads up and good to know about the INDe. I think I’ll avoid drilling mine too.

I guess it’s a good justification to buy another Ludwig snare (with a P33) so I can use the new one that’s lying around. I’ll have to remember that one for the other half if that day comes 🤣

“With every dark cloud there’s a silver lining”….etc

Last edited:
Not just you.
The idiots at Ludwig didn’t make their butt plate universally backwards compatible. I believe some shop(s) offer to tap holes to accommodate P32 spacing and it’s head-shakingly annoying Ludwig doesn’t just do this out of the box.
The P88AC is, in my opinion, an excellent replacement for the P85 and, thankfully, they didn’t screw up the hole spacing.
I put the INDE and P88AC on my Black Galaxy Acrolite to match my 8 lug Black Beauty. No looking back.

It's annoying - I had the same problem with the P35 butt plate on a ludwig snare. I did drill and tap the alternative holes on my P35 butt plate to the correct thread, but I was a maintenance fitter and drilled and tapped many a thread. However , It's a fiddly job and easy to stuff up I reckon.

I just left the original butt end on the drum as there was nothing wrong with it when I changed my 85 to an 88. I have no idea why Ludwig just didn't tap the other holes, it would have added little to the overall cost and avoided a lot of (justified) criticism.

I just left the original butt end on the drum as there was nothing wrong with it when I changed my 85 to an 88. I have no idea why Ludwig just didn't tap the other holes, it would have added little to the overall cost and avoided a lot of (justified) criticism.
Exactly. It’s a bizarre one as I’ve since had a look around and there’s plenty of criticism online about it.

Why wouldn’t you try and avoid that by almost dangling a carrot to people who’ve purchased the replacements, or even offer an INDe type adjustable one to fit more of their snares to be more “universal”

Hardly the end of the world but still…comes across almost as false advertising

Haha I bought a brand new p88 strainer and butt plate and the same happened to me, but I assumed it was because it was a 13” snare. They’re special over at Ludwig.

Older thread, but this vid shows the process to make the P88 buttplate match existing Ludwig holes. The 2nd set of holes which are used as locators for the rubber gaskets are in the exact location. So you can drill them out a bit and tap the holes, and then it will bolt right up. More details and drill bit/tap size etc in this video...

Back