Chasing recommendations for dark and dry hi hats

16s you can just grab two crashes (used Avedis) one slightly heavier. One I picked up ended up being an inked 16" "Medium Ride" : ) and worked grreat as a bottom 1275g with a 903g A Crash (older no ink) top. Used them with a New Orleans style Neville Brothers -type funky band

I gave several examples of what I like and the reasons that i like them. I also gave a clear example of what I currently have and don't like. Those would typically be called reference points.

I'm not asking for you to pick the cymbals for me, I'm asking for some suggestions from more experienced players. I'm specifically asking for their personal preferences so I can broaden my search and see what else is out there.... as I've pretty clearly stated.
Of course. I should have re-read your initial post. Ideas and intent get lost when the replies come tumbling in.

Good luck on your quest

I don't think they ship to Australia but this will massively help me narrow down my search.
Yes, this is a great tool to narrow down your search. If you really like one of their offerings, I will ship it to you. We'd have to work out some details.

Cheers. Sounds interesting, adding them to the list.... is the top cymbal lathed and then thinned out towards the edge? Kinda looks that way.

Nice set up btw.
I’d have to go have a look. I’m not where my kit is right now, maybe tomorrow.

I try not to get lost in the details. I either like them or I don’t.

That being said, I like them a lot. I’ll have a look.

Yes, this is a great tool to narrow down your search. If you really like one of their offerings, I will ship it to you. We'd have to work out some details.
That's extremely kind of you sir. I'll let you know if I find something I really like.

I'm regularly blown away by the generosity of some of you guys in this forum. It's an awesome little community.

I’d have to go have a look. I’m not where my kit is right now, maybe tomorrow.

I try not to get lost in the details. I either like them or I don’t.

That being said, I like them a lot. I’ll have a look.
I'm generally the same way. It just looked pretty pronounced, like the finish is different towards the outside edge and it looks like the lathing grooves have been removed from that portion of the cymbal.

It looks like they hammered it and cut the grooves in and then went back and thinned that edge portion out.

Istanbul Agops all day long. Check out the website for Cymbals Only to see how the different models and sizes sound. Tony does an incredible job of accurate capture in recording all these cymbals.

www.cymbalsonly.com

I'm generally the same way. It just looked pretty pronounced, like the finish is different towards the outside edge and it looks like the lathing grooves have been removed from that portion of the cymbal.

It looks like they hammered it and cut the grooves in and then went back and thinned that edge portion out.
Yeah you’re right. Sorry I forgot to look today. It’s like the center is somewhat raw with just those large lines. Then the edges are more traditionally lathed. The inside (bottom of each) is raw, no lathing if I remember correctly.

I have a pair of 15" Istanbul mehmet Sahra series hats, check them out might work for what your looking for.

Istanbul came out with their 15" XIST Dry Dark Brilliant Hats and they have the sound you might be looking for! The Signature stuff is great too, I have a 24" ride that I love to bits! :)

No one has mentioned Dream cymbals yet. The "Dark Matter" series Hi Hats come in 14" & 15". They are completely raw, unlathed cymbals, both top and bottom.

Also, the Dream "Energy" series hi hats are nice. Those come in sizes 13"-16". Those have raw (unlathed) bells and a completely unlathed bottom cymbal. Warm, dry and dark without being "wimpy".

Dream Cymbals are great. Check them out.

Back