One up tom mount

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
This will bug me unless I get it out. Not sure if it's thread worthy but I need your opinions. Forget price..sturdiness..this is cosmetic only. The photo of Philly Jo Jones in the 13 hihat thread made me jump in and ask this. The old tom mount he has on his Ludwig kit (to me) is just cool. It makes the entire kit look appealing. You are aware of all the mounts which are staggering in number from Ayotte to Zickos but that particular Ludwig mount is IT for me. Are any of you so cosmetic conscious that tom mount visual is a big deal cosmetically?. Forget functionality..cool reigns supreme in my worI'd..forget logical thinking. 😃.

I do like that indedrum mount..that blue Ringo color is the bomb. I'll sit and study this now forever. My drum being a HEAVY Renown might need this inde vs the wobblier vintage Ludwig mount yet giving me the visual of the Ludwig. I do like the wobble though slightly which is weird. I like the wobble of ride cymbals to when I see it. I'm a hopeless visual freak!. This stuff actually causes slight turmoil with me. Colors..mounts..the look of spurs..how cymbal stands look..from A to Z. Is there an equivalent to Dr. Phil musically speaking 😨.

My buddy just got this. Original owner ordered the drums without mounts, and installed Rogers Swivo-Matic (no extra holes) for the 13" tom.
thumbnail_3ply.jpgthumbnail_3ply 13.jpg

I nearly always play one up and one down, a four-piece kit. I became weary of lugging around a tom stand, so I bought Gibraltar hardware and drilled some holes. Peace and goodwill.

100_0582.JPG

The photo of Philly Jo Jones in the 13 hihat thread
Philly Joe or Jo Jones? which( what pic.
post # what

Perhaps he meant the video of Papa Joe? But I like Yamaha's relatively clean look as well on the single arm tom mount. Strong and functional.

Last edited:
I generally don't care about the looks of hardware, but always shied away from the huge tama-esque boom cymbal stands from the 80's, and the big curved Ludwig style bass drum spurs from the 70's and 80's

if I have my choice, I try NOT to mount anything to the bass drum

Forget functionality..cool reigns supreme in my worI'd..forget logical thinking
I’ve always thought the Ludwig arch rail mount looks great.

arch_rail_mount.jpg

So did Ringo on his first Ludwig Oyster Black set.
And Mitch Mitchell. And Tommy Aldridge. Very common mod. for 60's/early 70's players. Bonham also (though banging on his 14x10 with his hands made him also use a snare stand);)

John-Bonham-Maple-Ludwig-Drummer-Kit-Setup01.jpg

I'll never be used to mounts that take part of a Lug or Lugs "away" (change appearence) No matter how "well" they function.
Leave my lugs alone Lol

Last edited:
I love the look of the rail mount, but I could never get it in a comfortable spot. I now use snare baskets with bootyshakers for my rack toms. I love this look as well, and they work much better for me.

So did Ringo on his first Ludwig Oyster Black set.
Yes. He even had that mount installed on his Premier kit back in the Hamburg days. The Rogers Swivomatic mount was years ahead of the rest and that is why it was common in those years to install them on a previously ordered virgin bass drum. You can even see it on Bonham's maple finish Ludwig.

and on Mitch Mitchell's double bass Gretsch set
..then Pearl stole it
and the rest is history .
"imitation sincerest form of flattery"
------Akio Toyoda to car and driver magazine following Lexus LS400 intro 1990

Last edited:
Philly Joe or Jo Jones? which( what pic.
post # what
Whoa...i meant (Papa Jo) and typed PHILLY Jo. My mistake and apology for not paying attention to what I was doing. Jeremy Bender was correct. Carry on.

Reactions: jda
Back