Sampling trigger pads

Paulndot

Hi All. Looking for someone who's had experience with this sampler. Avatar 9-pad trigger sampler by HXW. The reviews on Amazon seem to indicate it's decent, especially at a fraction of what the next available pad set is. There's a copy-cat pad set for $10 cheaper, exact copy, with different badging (we all know how that works). This is a hobby for me, so any dollar invested needs to go a loooong way. At these prices, for the price of 1 decent cymbal, I can get tons of auxiliary percussion sounds. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 7.44.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 7.44.28 AM.png
    820.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 7.48.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 7.48.29 AM.png
    974.6 KB · Views: 8
I don't know much about these, but I've seen HXW as a cheapo Chinese edrum brand, and never heard of the other. These will most likely come with no useful warranty or product support and a greater chance of breaking, which can make it more expensive than it looks. I recommend buying products like this from reputable music stores like Thomann or Sweetwater with better warranty. Of course you might just get lucky with one of these, it's up to you how much risk you're willing to take, but I would at least get a protection plan. Roland, Yamaha are a lot more expensive (for a reason), but there are also some budget options in stores (like Alesis, Millenium, DDTI). A used Roland SPD-S can be in this price range, too.

I have not heard of either brand but I've had extensive experience with electronic drums and my advice would be to spend more to get a well-known brand with proven reliability. IMO, Yamaha and Roland would be the best choices, although I realize they are substantially more. Cheaply priced e-drums do not usually stand up as well over time. Even a used multi-pad by Roland or Yamaha would be a better option, IMO.

@Doraemon; @charliedrummer ; @Chris Whitten - THANKS ALL for your insight. I appreciate it. Yup - agreed the established brands definitely offer more in the area of reliability, features, etc. Way back in the day (I mean so way back in the day, it was almost the night before) I used Simmons and Roland for auxiliary sounds. I was gigging, and doing some studio work so there was a need. Now, I just play for myself, in my spare time, so that level of quality just isn't a requirement anymore. I will say this...do I miss my Zildjian K's and Paiste Rudes? YES, absolutely! For now, with ear protection in, and music in the headphones over my ears, I could be playing trash can lids. LOL. Same with the drums. I miss the literal thunder that came out of my Ludwig classic maples (that should date me pretty well - LOL), but the PDP Concept maples I own today do just fine.

@Doraemon; @charliedrummer ; @Chris Whitten - THANKS ALL for your insight. I appreciate it. Yup - agreed the established brands definitely offer more in the area of reliability, features, etc. Way back in the day (I mean so way back in the day, it was almost the night before) I used Simmons and Roland for auxiliary sounds. I was gigging, and doing some studio work so there was a need. Now, I just play for myself, in my spare time, so that level of quality just isn't a requirement anymore. I will say this...do I miss my Zildjian K's and Paiste Rudes? YES, absolutely! For now, with ear protection in, and music in the headphones over my ears, I could be playing trash can lids. LOL. Same with the drums. I miss the literal thunder that came out of my Ludwig classic maples (that should date me pretty well - LOL), but the PDP Concept maples I own today do just fine.
Concept Maples aren’t at all inferior to high end drums as far as I’m concerned, although I bought a set of beater Classics and rewrapped them instead ;)

Back