This was a pretty piece of walnut ...

Outstanding answers. Thank you for this as it's given me some knowledge to use on my drum guy in GA. He comes from a background in cabinet & furniture making, so I'm sure (hope) he's well aware of this.
The wood he uses is usually really old, but going from thick & sticky Georgia to southern AZ is quite the difference in environment.
Using the methods you mentioned here, all should be well.

Thanks again!(y)
Herr Ross: Are you talking about Outlaw Drums?

Outstanding answers. Thank you for this as it's given me some knowledge to use on my drum guy in GA. He comes from a background in cabinet & furniture making, so I'm sure (hope) he's well aware of this.
The wood he uses is usually really old, but going from thick & sticky Georgia to southern AZ is quite the difference in environment.
Using the methods you mentioned here, all should be well.

Thanks again!(y)

I can't speak for another builder, but I've shipped drums built in the mountains of western North Carolina to very dry places like southern Arizona and southern Texas, as well as very humid places like southern Louisiana, southern Florida, and Hawaii -- all without problems.

Herr Ross: Are you talking about Outlaw Drums?
Yes. I have family who live in Georgia & have been a fan of Mike's work for a good minute. After reading the thread about how a members' stave built drum shrunk to the point that the head didn't fit right, it gave me pause.
Mike hasn't addressed this as I assume he hasn't had any problems from customers. But I still need a bit of assurance before I drop large coin on a snare.
I can't speak for another builder, but I've shipped drums built in the mountains of western North Carolina to very dry places like southern Arizona and southern Texas, as well as very humid places like southern Louisiana, southern Florida, and Hawaii -- all without problems.
Good to know. Here's the link to the original post so we all can get caught up on this issue.
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums...tos-seeking-advice.140778/page-2#post-1938839

While it seems it's rare that there are problems of this sort, it's still there & I feel all stave builders should at least have a plan for when this happens.

Yes. I have family who live in Georgia & have been a fan of Mike's work for a good minute. After reading the thread about how a members' stave built drum shrunk to the point that the head didn't fit right, it gave me pause.
Mike hasn't addressed this as I assume he hasn't had any problems from customers. But I still need a bit of assurance before I drop large coin on a snare.

Good to know. Here's the link to the original post so we all can get caught up on this issue.
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums...tos-seeking-advice.140778/page-2#post-1938839

While it seems it's rare that there are problems of this sort, it's still there & I feel all stave builders should at least have a plan for when this happens.
I hadn't really looked at that thread before, but I can tell you there are several problems with the build on the shell the OP was showing. Also, the OP of that thread mentions that the drum had been in storage for years, and a lot might depend on the storage conditions, e.g. whether it was in high heat or very dry air for extended time -- I've seen drums crack while in "storage" for years next to furnaces, etc. It's also possible, as someone mentioned, that the wood was not fully dried when the drum was made, etc., etc.

At the same time, solid wood in a drum is no different from solid wood in a violin or other fine musical instrument. If you're investing that kind of money in a high-end instrument, you should treat it with at least moderate care. We all know guitarists who keep their best instruments in cases, watch humidity conditions where the instruments are stored, are careful in how they handle the instrument, and so on. For certain types of use and certain types of venues (you all know what I mean), you might well be better off with plywood, which doesn't have the tone but does take a beating. Best rule of thumb is that if room conditions are comfortable for you, they're probably comfortable for your musical instruments as well. If you're dripping sweat or shivering for days at a time, it's probably not the best place for for your solid wood instrument ... or your solid wood furniture ... or your solid wood floor ...

Best rule of thumb is that if room conditions are comfortable for you, they're probably comfortable for your musical instruments as well. If you're dripping sweat or shivering for days at a time, it's probably not the best place for for your solid wood instrument ... or your solid wood furniture ... or your solid wood floor ...
Best. Advise. Ever. 🤘🤘

Back