What's the worst drumming advice you've ever received?

Worst advice I ever got was that you didn’t need to move to a music capital to get anywhere in a tie with being in a band was much better than going solo. BS on both counts.

for me it was::

- it doesn't matter how you hold the sticks
- practice on a pillow
- don't march drum corps; stay home and hang with your friends
- don't worry about counting, just play by feel
- don't worry about learning ________ genre; nobody wants to hear it
- watch the movie "Drumline"
- watch the movie "Whiplash"

Whiplash? Gah!! It's a horror movie. Seriously! The protagonist is a masochist, and the plot contains bits from every performance anxiety driven bad dream I've ever had.
It's the whole blisters thing that got me along with ice water.

If your hands end up like that you're playing the wrong instrument!

yeah...that movie did more to destroy peoples perception about what we do than anything else I can think of

I can't tell you how many parents I have had who said they did not want their kids to play drums b/c "I don't want them to experience what the guy in Whiplash did..."

bruh....

Not with a career in music, and just barely, at that!

Worst advice? From a guidance councilor - You can't make a living from music. So, aside from music, what do you want to do?"

that is pretty much exactly what my counselor said, but it was more like: " music is not a real job. Music is only a hobby."

and here I am teaching music at the same school where I was told that it was not a legit career...

That started a dichotomy within me, where I began to believe the things I was passionate about and liked doing didn't have value. I think it's why I never DID make a living with music. I never believed it was possible. "Rock stars" were just lucky. Everyone else works at the Chevy plant.

I did the opposite: I went into music to spite everyone who told me that it wasn't a legit pursuit.

I also - from a very early age - never though about defining success from a financial standpoint. Success - to me - is defined in the wake you leave behind you. I have always strove to leave the most positive wake I could behind me.

that is pretty much exactly what my counselor said, but it was more like: " music is not a real job. Music is only a hobby."

and here I am teaching music at the same school where I was told that it was not a legit career...

I did the opposite: I went into music to spite everyone who told me that it wasn't a legit pursuit.

I also - from a very early age - never though about defining success from a financial standpoint. Success - to me - is defined in the wake you leave behind you. I have always strove to leave the most positive wake I could behind me.
That is why you're one of my favorite people here!

I might have followed that path had a few life events not happened, and even more importantly, if I was the person then that I am now. But I wasn't.

Glad there are people around who didn't fold up as easily as I did!

Last edited:
That is why you're one of my favorite people here!

I might have followed that path had a few life events not happened, and even more importantly, if I was the person then that am now. But I wasn't.

Glad there are people around who didn't fold up as easily as I did!

thanks!!!!

I have folded in some other ways, but nothing was going to get in my way of trying to pursue a career in drumming. Music/drumming has been my foundation for as far back as I can remember...

and I was lucky to have parents who taught me respect; to learn about everything and also to question everything as a kid. Not in a disrespectful way, but just to realize that there was not one right way to do things, and to not be afraid of failure.

Well, to me personally never really bad advice has been given, but the worst and most ridiculous advice i ever heard is..:

* To deliberately practice bad time in order to be prepared and follow other band members when they play bad time…

There are ofcourse more, but that is kinda the worst i ever heard…

I immediately ignore such things and never, like NEVER, as in N-E-V-E-R, take such advice serious btw….🙂

Back