Gavin Harrison here!

Fair, in that case I'll probably sneakily adjust the click and wing it from there!
To be honest I can't remember why - probably I was thinking of the solo in 4/4 rather than 19/8 - and knowing what I'm like I probably had a 'marker click' counting me back into the next section !

best of luck
Gavin

Hello Gavin, I wanted to ask what snare stand you use and how it stays so steady despite how hard/loud you play. Mine seems to move playing anything really heavy. Also looking forward to PT in Boston and New York next week!

- Salvador

Killer show in Toronto, Gavin. Your drums sounded great, as always!

Gotta ask, did I see your left foot come up to turn on the snare during Anesthesize? How did you come up with doing that? Amazing performance, btw.

Hi Gavin,

Saw you last night in Toronto, you and the band put on a great show. The drums and band were sounding great.

I am hoping you could answer what you and the band do when you have the break part way through the show? Do you do anything to cool down? Also on tour, do you bring spare cymbals or do you go out and buy a new one if one breaks?

Thanks
Liam

Last edited:
Killer show in Toronto, Gavin. Your drums sounded great, as always!

Gotta ask, did I see your left foot come up to turn on the snare during Anesthesize? How did you come up with doing that? Amazing performance, btw.
Sorry to interrupt, but watch Jojo Mayers left foot here:

yes - it's quite an easy thing to do with the Sonor Dual-Glide snare throw-off. I wanted to play the whole first section with the snares off (so the toms sound clean) but I need to get the snares back on without interrupting the flow of the tom pattern. I suppose I could turn it on with my knee - but I sit a long way back from the drums.

I am hoping you could answer what you and the band do when you have the break part way through the show? Do you do anything to cool down?
Last night in the break I had a coffee (jet lag is still getting the better of me).

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Amazing show at Radio City! What a huge setlist, I can't image the energy such a tour requires, but am most thankful! The show - music and images - was so captivating I even forgot about staring at your gorgeous new kit most of the time. They sounded great.
Radio City was a fitting, classy place, but I think a lot of people would enjoy moving to the music a bit more wildly - do you intentionally play at sitting-only venues? One of the most memorable songs for me was Chimera's Wreck with its background movie. I hope it will become a music video.. I was also wondering about your side toms: are they the same as the originals or have different sizes, tunings or heads?
I hope your jetlag is getting better and/or you have access to some good coffee on the road. :)

Dora

Last edited:
Hi Dora
glad you enjoyed the show ! I think all of the shows are seated - not really our preference - but something necessary for the different pricing of the seats. This is something the promoters really wanted - and I understand why. The side toms are all quite shallow drums 8x7 10x7 12x7 with Remo C.S heads just for a different sound.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin - Thanks for a wonderfully entertaining concert in Philadelphia last week! I see where Steven mentioned the other day that you guys were battling illness. Hope all feel better, soon! Any tips for staying healthy on the road? I can't imagine having to play for three hours at that intensity level whilst feeling under the weather. Cheers!

I see where Steven mentioned the other day that you guys were battling illness. Hope all feel better, soon! Any tips for staying healthy on the road?
I have pretty bad 'tennis elbow' (lateral epicondylitis) in my right arm at the moment. It doesn't hurt when I play - but does when I stop. I had it in my left elbow a few years ago - and eventually - it just went away.

Tips for staying healthy on the road? Don't go on the road !

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Hope you are doing well and feeling better. I just watched The Inabsentia doc and saw this near the end by the credits. Do you remember this time? I like the small kit you are using. Do you remember what it was? Thanks so much in advance. Take care

Attachments

• Gavin.png
    Gavin.png
    792.7 KB · Views: 44
Do you remember this time? I like the small kit you are using. Do you remember what it was?
sure - this was a little "unplugged" acoustic set that Porcupine Tree did as "the opening band to ourselves" in Radio City NYC and London Royal Albert Hall. The drums are Sonor 20" 12" 14" hi hats ride and a crash. It was quite good fun !

cheers
Gavin

sure - this was a little "unplugged" acoustic set that Porcupine Tree did as "the opening band to ourselves" in Radio City NYC and London Royal Albert Hall. The drums are Sonor 20" 12" 14" hi hats ride and a crash. It was quite good fun !

cheers
Gavin
I'm not sure if that pic was from the NYC show or the London show, but I was at the one at Radio City Music Hall. That show was on my birthday, so as a present to myself, I flew myself out to NYC (from LA, where I live) and had seats right up front. I even got a little memento, which is hanging in my office right above my practice kit.

Can't wait to see you tonight at the Greek!

IMG_2684.jpeg

Hello Gavin I was wondering what cymbal you used around the 1:12 mark in “Trains” as to my ear it doesn’t sound like the 6” splash used in The Sound of Muzak or the 8” splash used on some of the Deadwing material. Thanks!

- Salvador

I assume you're referring to the original studio version? I don't hear a splash at 1:12 but it sounds like an open hi hat. Is that the exact moment you mean?
Yes studio, beat “2and” of bar 3, Terry Branam has it charted as a splash in Rhythmic Composition but that doesn’t sound right to me. It’s always been tough for me to tell exactly which cymbal it is. I almost thought it was 12 inch China at first. Doesn’t sound like your hi-hat tone on rest of the song, is it an extra hi-hat like in Blackest Eyes? Thanks again for your time Gavin. I’ve included a picture of the chart so hopefully it uploads properly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 15
Yes studio, beat “2and” of bar 3, Terry Branam has it charted as a splash in Rhythmic Composition but that doesn’t sound right to me. It’s always been tough for me to tell exactly which cymbal it is. I almost thought it was 12 inch China at first. Doesn’t sound like your hi-hat tone on rest of the song
I think I have now figured it out - and I believe it is a Zildjian EFX 12" Piggy Back mini china cymbal. I saw a photo of those sessions and recognised that cymbal.

I think I have now figured it out - and I believe it is a Zildjian EFX 12" Piggy Back mini china cymbal. I saw a photo of those sessions and recognised that cymbal.
Thank you so much! Never even heard of this cymbal! Also saw the PT shows in Boston and New York last month, amazing!

Thank you so much! Never even heard of this cymbal! Also saw the PT shows in Boston and New York last month, amazing!
Just heard a demo…sounds like you’d expect it to…a splashy China. But what is the piggyback aspect? Are they meant to be stacked?

Reactions: GSL
Back