Omar Hakim

GretschedHive

Gold Member
I'm sure there has to be a thread already dedicated to this absolute master, but I couldn't find one. So be the change you want to see and all that.

I've been amazed by his drumming so many, many times over the years. But I'm not sure I've ever been more astonished by anything he's played than I was by just how utterly perfect his feel was when playing just a simple kick-and-snare pattern here:

A wow drummer for sure! I’ll have to dig out an old photo of my teacher Eric and I at an Omar clinic in Birmingham UK back in 2000. Eric being Eric sat behind Omar’s beautiful Pearl kit for the shot!!:ROFLMAO: Great times, and of course Omar absolutely smashed it.:D(y)

I love me some Herbie Hancock and of all of his incarnations of Cantaloupe Island this one with Omar is my favorite. Hot damn!!!!

Love Omar but not a fan of the fancy hi hat work. He’s right, but I still don’t like it.

he is the guy - via Sting - who showed me that drumming was more than just double bass, power tom, stick flipping craziness!!

I play blue Pearl Master Customs b/c of him

one of my top 5 influences

Love his work with all great jazz guys but also with Nile Rodgers/Chic recently.

I like the eyeglass frames Omar chose -they look good on him. What did y’all talk about?

I like the eyeglass frames Omar chose -they look good on him. What did y’all talk about?
Nothing really. I thanked him for sorta squatting down so we looked the same height. He’s actually a lot taller than me. I just wanted to say I was a big fan of his since he was in Weather Report and he was genuinely happy I mentioned that era since it was so long ago.

Loved him since his appearance on the Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship concert. His playing & soloing were just so smooth and free.

Omar playing a small tom to the right of the larger too..

Back