Broken hand is pretty scary

Out of Round

I'm overcoming a 5th metacarpal fracture ("boxers fracture") of my non-dominate right hand. I set up lefty, so this is my "snare hand".

I had surgery and the pins have been removed. It's still early in the recovery process, but I am freaking out.

My pinky curls under my ring finger a little bit now. I have to physically move it out of the way when I grip the drumstick. They actually recommended some drumming as a way to help recover since it's something my hand is used to doing. I'm not currently in a project, so it's all solo practice at sensible volume.

At this point, from a drumming perspective, I might be better off if they had just removed the pinky. I can still get some flex so there's a little bit of pinky action there, but it won't extend at all. I can't fully let the stick float in my hand. Ghost notes are stiff and I have to be careful landing backbeats because they hurt a little. So I stopped for now.

I could see taping my pinky and ring finger together if I have to, but a what a hassle. All I can say is "take care of your hands".

Tough! Is it likely that your pinky will return to normal over several months? That's been my experience with most of my injuries. Maybe it just needs lots of time and good rehab? (But sometimes tough by the day).

That’s A Bummer!

I broke my right hand and pinky, fractured all the way to my wrist, (luckily no surgery needed), around this time last year playing softball, and it took a couple of weeks before I could even get behind my kit to practice.

About 5 weeks and I was getting back in the swing of things.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm shocked how tough the hand therapy exercises are. I have a lot of work ahead of me. So much trouble for one little bone.

Sorry to hear that. Hand injuries are horrible and stressful. Don't worry tho, have patience and trust your body and brain to adapt

The broken bones and cut tendons I have suffered have healed over time. I have lost a bit of mobility but this hasn't stopped me and I am still improving

Get better soon

good to hear they actually recommended drumming as therapy.
best wishes to you, I looked up what that looks like on x-rays and it does look scary. Maybe you don't have to tape the two fingers, you could have some weak elastic or tensor band to hold them together.

I severely fractured my right hand and like a moron not only did I not seek proper medical attention but I rehearsed the day of and played a gig a few days later. Ultimately my hand healed surprisingly well considering however my pinky is certainly slightly crooked and doesn't sit in the same place it used too. It's most noticable during fast right hand ride patterns and while holding a video game controller. Take care of your hands. And your feet (from a guy who wears wet rubber boots 50 hours a week).

This is a good wake-up call to people who put all their eggs in one basket (myself included)

Have another creative/expressive outlet which doesn't require fine motor skills of hands. Ronnie Scotts descent into depression after loosing his front teeth, therefore his ability to play horn, was a tragic tale

I severely fractured my right hand and like a moron not only did I not seek proper medical attention but I rehearsed the day of and played a gig a few days later. Ultimately my hand healed surprisingly well considering however my pinky is certainly slightly crooked and doesn't sit in the same place it used too. It's most noticable during fast right hand ride patterns and while holding a video game controller. Take care of your hands. And your feet (from a guy who wears wet rubber boots 50 hours a week).
Impaled my foot on a chair walking by it one day, and smashed my pinky toe completely into my foot. Like a dumbass, I did nothing about it. Eventually it healed, my toe showed back up. Now it doesnt stick out as far and I have a bump that sticks out the side of my foot, like a bunion or something.

I was in full blown alcoholism at the time and explains not seeking medical care.

Got a broken rib in drunken fashion too. Never got help with it either, it healed funny and now I have torso pain issues. Imagine that.

Quick update: I finished up the physical therapy this week. I actually been able to play without that pinky curling under for some time now. Although the grip is not exactly the same as before, I can totally make it work. The healing process is something to behold, but I was really worried there for a while.

I'd be googeling and Duckducking with the situation until I happened onto a fix. Someone somewhere out there has a handle on that same situation or knows someone that does. Definitely keep us posted. Prayers out to you my friend.

Yep I broke my dominant right hand in early 80's -same but both 4th and 5th metacarpals. I missed my brother's head and half my hand landed on door frame and the rest wall-so 4-5 took the fall. My Dad took to me his office where he had an old fluoroscope (dang had a brain fart) and then set about getting it all back in place-it took several tries to get both in place and about killed me. He didn't numb it before doing so-I suspect a punishment for my violent temper and wanting to kill my brother. I hated it because I missed a field trip to one of GA barrier islands in an aquatic biology course I was taking at time. It healed fine but was super sensitive for years. Just be patient it will likely heal up fine. Wishing you heal well.

Last edited:
Yep I broke my dominant right hand in early 80's -same but both 4th and 5th metacarpals. I missed my brother's head and half my hand landed on door frame and the rest wall-so 4-5 took the fall. My Dad took to me his office where he had an old fluoroscope (dang had a brain fart) and then set about getting it all back in place-it took several tries to get both in place and about killed me. He didn't numb it before doing so-I suspect a punishment for my violent temper and wanting to kill my brother. I hated it because I missed a field trip to one of GA barrier islands in an aquatic biology course I was taking at time. It healed fine but was super sensitive for years. Just be patient it will likely heal up fine. Wishing you heal well.
Dang, Bro! You were raised to be tough! If I ever get jumped, I want you on my side. 😆

My temper is bad, and cost me my first marriage and nearly my second one, but I’ve never broken a bone in a fit of rage.

Back