On Buddy Rich's Birthday (9/30), Remembering When He Quit Playing Drums to Become a Singer

According to “Buddy Rich: One of a Kind — The Making of the World’s Greatest Drummer,” the drummer completely gave up playing drums in the late ’50s to become a singer. “He burned his drumsticks at a press conference at Birdland,” recalled drummer Bruce Klauber.

"Buddy Rich Quits Drums to Be Song and Dancer," proclaimed Down Beat early in 1956.

I discovered all of this reading a seemingly well-researched article, "Buddy Rich, a Monster at Rest." http://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com/2016/10/buddy-rich-monster-at-rest.html

Clearly, Rich recognized that jazz was in decline (and 1956 was the year Elvis first appeared on Ed Sullivan). He sensed that a career as a jazz drummer would never eclipse the singers he sat behind.

Is this why he was so angry?

Clearly, Rich recognized that jazz was in decline (and 1956 was the year Elvis first appeared on Ed Sullivan). He sensed that a career as a jazz drummer would never eclipse the singers he sat behind.

Is this why he was so angry?
History is replete with examples of this. Guy who has made a life & recognition doing something only to have it go the way of the Dodo in a blink would piss anyone off.
Seems he got over it though seeing's how he was playing to the 80's. ;)

He finally told Mel Torme, "I'm a drummer."

I'm glad he changed his mind.

Intervewer asked - Mr Rich, how do you warm up?

He quipped - "I put my hands in my pockets."

Back