A Project-part 2: Inspired by Hollywood Jim

wildbill

Platinum Member
Part 1 was here: https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/a-project.181615/

I wanted an inexpensive set with a 10 lug, 22x14 bass drum, matte black,
cleared coated with a minimum of very small sparkles - mission accomplished. (y)

But as soon as I finished and put it together, I thought - too bland, too plain, and no character. :eek:
Where to go from here?
Browsed the forum a bit and ran across the hot rod and civil war sets that Hollywood Jim (a member here) did,
and I thought right away, I should do a biker type set, and this is the perfect vehicle for it.
If I ever gig again, I'll be ready for Harley rallies and biker bars now. :ROFLMAO: :p

I've done some painting before, but didn't really want to go through the hassle.
Doing the priming, matte black, and sparkle in the clear coat was enough screwing around.
So I decided to do something taboo when it comes to bikes - clear coat over decals.

I did do some extra, minimum amount of painting, but the decals are the main draw.
I ran into a little snag with the hoops. I used flip flop paint ( now called color shift) for some small flames.
I started the hoops with that color, but the small can I had ran out, and I had to use a different color shift paint.
I doesn't match as well as it should, but I got tired of messing with it.

There could be a part 3 to this, but I probably won't bother with posting about it.
I want to replace the Sportster lettering on the bottom of the bass drum with a proper decal, some small flames, and a little pinstriping.
For the last 30 some years, I've been riding Sportsters exclusively - it deserves better.
But that's for another time.

Enough talk - let's have some pics:

mounted toms:
1toms - Copy.jpg2toms - Copy.jpg3toms - Copy.jpg

floor tom:

4FT - Copy.jpg5FT - Copy.jpg6FT - Copy.jpg

bottom of bass drum:

7Sportster - bottom - Copy.jpg

side painted flames:

8flamed - Copy.jpg

and top of bass drum:

9small top - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished putting it back together, and can get some pics up now of the whole set.
Oh - and this set sounds way better than it has any right to. :ROFLMAO:
I'm really pretty satisfied with it now for both looks and sound.

I would have gone bonkers over this set when I was younger, but I still get a kick out of the concept as an old geezer too. :p

1 Left side - Copy.JPG2 LF Angle - Copy.JPG3 Rear - Copy.JPG
4 small skull - Copy.JPG5 Hooligan - Copy.JPG6 Front - Copy.JPG7 Tom Cat - Copy.JPG
and one of my cats under the tom - a Tom Cat :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Good work! May they give you years of musical joy (and many nice compliments). Peace and goodwill.

Hell yeah!! Dang fine job- love it. Are decals glued on or under lacquer?

Last edited:
.....Are decals glued on or under lacquer?

Just the typical sticky stuff on the back side of decals. Then clear coat over them with polycrylic.

The only other paint I did besides the matte black and clear sparkle coat was the extra clear coat
over the decals and existing paint, and the small color shift flames and hoops.

Last edited:
Update - those vibraband mounts weren't working out for me.
All the big adjustment screws kept getting in the way because of how I wanted to position the drums.
So I ditched the bands and drilled the shells to mount directly.
They sound just as good to me, and adjust a whole lot easier now:

vibrabands - Copy.JPGfar - Copy.JPGclose - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Hey !
I love it. But then you knew I would.
Nice and subtle. Not overdone. (Several times I over did it when decorating drums.)

It looks a little more plain jane now without those big honkin' chrome vibrabands. I kind of got used to the looks of them.
If I could have gotten the toms to adjust how I wanted them, I would have let the bands alone.
But for me, they're a major PITA.

It looks a little more plain jane now without those big honkin' chrome vibrabands. I kind of got used to the looks of them.
If I could have gotten the toms to adjust how I wanted them, I would have let the bands alone.
But for me, they're a major PITA.
I agree. And I don't like how the bands look. And I don't like rack toms that wiggle around when you hit them.

Yep. And I've never had a problem with drums that have the mount directly on the shell.
Just old fashioned, I guess. But it seems like trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
They've got plenty of sustain with direct mounts.

And the drums did bounce around a bit with those vibrabands.
Had to figure in a little extra clearance to account for it.

Back