Hurricane Ian

If anyone is interested in what is ACTUALLY going on live in the moment in central Florida listen to real radio 104.1 Orlando on the iHeartRadio app. It's mostly talk shows but during hurricanes they live broadcast all night and basically do open forum for locals to call in. It's a mixture of super entertaining fun talk radio where these people just party on air and minute by minute updates.

I've never listened to it before.
This has to be the loosest format I have EVER heard. (y)

I've never listened to it before.
This has to be the loosest format I have EVER heard. (y)
The funny part is... The normal daytime show isn't much more structured haha. So these guys, The News Junkie, are typically on from 11am to 3pm. The next crew, The Jim Colbert Show, are usually on from 3pm to 7pm and tonight they are taking the graveyard shift from midnight until... Well, whenever haha. They make it a point to do this every big storm as a public service. It is very loose and they of course have fun but they do keep giving updates as it goes on. Wait until about 2am, the storm will be real bad and the drinks will be heavy. It gets nuts.

Florida is beating the hell out of Hurricane Ian. Reminds me of what my HS football offensive coach referred to as roughing the tackler.

The funny part is... The normal daytime show isn't much more structured haha. So these guys, The News Junkie, are typically on from 11am to 3pm. The next crew, The Jim Colbert Show, are usually on from 3pm to 7pm and tonight they are taking the graveyard shift from midnight until... Well, whenever haha. They make it a point to do this every big storm as a public service. It is very loose and they of course have fun but they do keep giving updates as it goes on. Wait until about 2am, the storm will be real bad and the drinks will be heavy. It gets nuts.
Yep, it woke me up and it’s bad.

Still have power. Rain and winds intensified but I just peeked outside and it doesn't appear as though trees are down around my house. The storm shifted south again and it's now looking it's going to shoot just a bit below me, right over Jimmy's area unfortunately.

I'll have more concrete numbers by the afternoon but so far we've gotten a minimum of 8" of rain, with another 8" minimum expected, and max gusts have been 74mph. The 'worst' of it is slated to start here in about 30-45 minutes and will slowly get worse until it starts to finally pass out to the ocean and lighten up... 12+ hours from now. It can and will get worse here but we are far better off then the SW FL areas that took the landfall. The initial reports, pics, and videos coming out of that area look like New Orleans during Katrina with 6-8' of water in the streets and 2-4' of water in buildings and they still have rising water.

Still have power. Rain and winds intensified but I just peeked outside and it doesn't appear as though trees are down around my house. The storm shifted south again and it's now looking it's going to shoot just a bit below me, right over Jimmy's area unfortunately.

I'll have more concrete numbers by the afternoon but so far we've gotten a minimum of 8" of rain, with another 8" minimum expected, and max gusts have been 74mph. The 'worst' of it is slated to start here in about 30-45 minutes and will slowly get worse until it starts to finally pass out to the ocean and lighten up... 12+ hours from now. It can and will get worse here but we are far better off then the SW FL areas that took the landfall. The initial reports, pics, and videos coming out of that area look like New Orleans during Katrina with 6-8' of water in the streets and 2-4' of water in buildings and they still have rising water.
Man, this is crazy! It won’t let up at all. I now have a leak in my roof. Fortunately it’s on a crossbeam, but it’s still pretty bad.

Man, this is crazy! It won’t let up at all. I now have a leak in my roof. Fortunately it’s on a crossbeam, but it’s still pretty bad.
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear! I got to sleep a few hours between midnight and 4am but now that the beginnings of the actual storm are starting to roll through I'm going to stay up for a bit. I have no idea if I have any leaks but I don't have any wet spots in my ceiling so if I do they can't be that bad.

Power went out at 5:45. My neighbor's cedar tree had two large limbs fall, one right in front of my house (would have been on top of my wife's car if we didn't move it last night) and one right next to my car. Now I know logically it's understood that acts of of nature are not any single person's fault HOWEVER this neighborhood and I have had a very poor relationship since I moved in a few years ago. Her garage is packed to the brim and looks like a hoarder house, she refuses any sort of property management outside of basic grass cutting so it looks like a derelict abandoned house, she herself is full blown psychotic (find her randomly wandering my yard or parking in my driveway or just walking over and using my hose), and she recently had her middle aged son move back in who talks to me about "all the little ghoulies and gremlins" he sees running around and likes to walk around their backyard wearing a Jason/Friday The 13th mask. Did she cause the tree to fall? No. Could basic responsible and courteous home ownership practices have dramatically limited if not prevented this issue? Absolutely.

Still full on raining and very very windy and will be for several more hours. It has been raining nonstop with increasing intensity in my area for over 24 hours now with many more to go.

Her garage is packed to the brim and looks like a hoarder house, she refuses any sort of property management outside of basic grass cutting so it looks like a derelict abandoned house, she herself is full blown psychotic
Hoarding is actually a subsector of anxiety/ocd. The lady might actually be mentally ill and not understand that her behavior is not normal. If she is a hoarder, she might not actually have working water anymore, which is why she uses your water.

We have hoarders in my family. It's a constant struggle with them.

Hoarding is considered a safety concern and yall are perfectly legal to call social services and report it.

Hoarding is actually a subsector of anxiety/ocd. The lady might actually be mentally ill and not understand that her behavior is not normal. If she is a hoarder, she might not actually have working water anymore, which is why she uses your water.

We have hoarders in my family. It's a constant struggle with them.

Hoarding is considered a safety concern and yall are perfectly legal to call social services and report it.
Thank you for the information. I did actually call the local municipality and they said that the only legal way they can approach it is if it causes a fire and/or code violation. They also said they can't make her open the garage to show them so they said I have to just "call next time her garage door is open and hope someone can get there quick enough". She also has an older male roommate, him and I actually get along very well and he agrees that she is crazy and went even further downhill after the pandemic. He however hasn't been seen since her son moved in. His car is still there but he randomly is never outside any more and I haven't seen him in months nor has his car moved an inch in months when he used to leave for a few hours every day. She recently put up a bunch of cameras around her house because she "keeps seeing people in her yard". I assure you... There are no people there.

I can't help but wonder if panic buying it's another version of the "tragedy of the commons" theory where everyone has access to plunder so much in their own interest.

Price gouging on gasoline prior to hurricane arrival was another issue we faced in my area a decade ago. Stations charging an additional $5.00 per gallon to desperate motorists fleeing the impeding storm. Laws have been enacted in our state since then to discourage this practice.

Perhaps they will also enact food rationing someday if it gets to that point.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. I did actually call the local municipality and they said that the only legal way they can approach it is if it causes a fire and/or code violation. They also said they can't make her open the garage to show them so they said I have to just "call next time her garage door is open and hope someone can get there quick enough". She also has an older male roommate, him and I actually get along very well and he agrees that she is crazy and went even further downhill after the pandemic. He however hasn't been seen since her son moved in. His car is still there but he randomly is never outside any more and I haven't seen him in months nor has his car moved an inch in months when he used to leave for a few hours every day. She recently put up a bunch of cameras around her house because she "keeps seeing people in her yard". I assure you... There are no people there.
Yeah you have to report it as a reason for a welfare check. Lady wandering around confused, son talking about little green men, havent seen the old roommate but car is still there, etc. Social services can at least go and knock on the door and make contact. That gets the ball rolling.

Traumatic events (death of a loved one, trauma, pandemic, etc) can exacerbate mental illness and make symptoms worse.

I understand it might feel like tattling, but some hoarders live in homes that no longer function as homes and are just waiting to fall in on themselves. Even if there is nothing wrong, it doesnt hurt to show some concern for another human beings welfare.

It could be so bad that the old man has died inside and no one even realizes it. Or it could be nothing. No way of knowing until someone looks.

Yeah you have to report it as a reason for a welfare check. Lady wandering around confused, son talking about little green men, havent seen the old roommate but car is still there, etc. Social services can at least go and knock on the door and make contact. That gets the ball rolling.

Traumatic events (death of a loved one, trauma, pandemic, etc) can exacerbate mental illness and make symptoms worse.

I understand it might feel like tattling, but some hoarders live in homes that no longer function as homes and are just waiting to fall in on themselves. Even if there is nothing wrong, it doesnt hurt to show some concern for another human beings welfare.

It could be so bad that the old man has died inside and no one even realizes it. Or it could be nothing. No way of knowing until someone looks.
Well said and thank you for the reassurance. Her and many of our neighbors have loved her for decades and every one is great except her. And they all agree with everything I said earlier. She is 'that lady' on the block which I feel brings further validity to your comments.

Spoke to my mom in the Melbourne area last night and this morning . Rains ( heavy at times) started yesterday morning along with some strong wind ( mph???), and debris flying around but not too bad , but ….. was starting to pick up and intensified during our convo around 10:30 pm. Spoke again 9:30 am ( hour ago) , she had lost power sporadically for an hour this morning but currently has power. Heavy bands of rain and heavier winds than yesterday but no flooding . Neighbors tree came down but was in bad shape anyway. Thank god for her handyman who came and shut her storm shutters sometime before she woke at 6 am yesterday. She didn’t think he was coming as he was recuperating from Covid . Great guy ! Can’t thank him enough ! Tight community of people in her development and the workers they hire do a great job and care about them as they’re all mostly older folks . Mom turned 80 last week and has some health issues , so finding good honest trustworthy workers was a must as our family has no young and able relatives in the area . I’ll be sending him a bonus after it’s all over and cleaned up .
Good luck to all you guys down there and those that have family and friends there .
And stay safe 🙏

Spoke to my mom in the Melbourne area last night and this morning . Rains ( heavy at times) started yesterday morning along with some strong wind ( mph???), and debris flying around but not too bad , but ….. was starting to pick up and intensified during our convo around 10:30 pm. Spoke again 9:30 am ( hour ago) , she had lost power sporadically for an hour this morning but currently has power. Heavy bands of rain and heavier winds than yesterday but no flooding . Neighbors tree came down but was in bad shape anyway. Thank god for her handyman who came and shut her storm shutters sometime before she woke at 6 am yesterday. She didn’t think he was coming as he was recuperating from Covid . Great guy ! Can’t thank him enough ! Tight community of people in her development and the workers they hire do a great job and care about them as they’re all mostly older folks . Mom turned 80 last week and has some health issues , so finding good honest trustworthy workers was a must as our family has no young and able relatives in the area . I’ll be sending him a bonus after it’s all over and cleaned up .
Good luck to all you guys down there and those that have family and friends there .
And stay safe 🙏
That is good, I'm happy to hear! I'll be honest, finding honest, hard working, caring contractors is very difficult here in Florida. It's very common for them to have drug and or alcohol problems, no show, lie, cut corners, and prey on the elderly. This guy sounds like a good egg and I strongly encourage you to keep him around for you and your mother's sake.

Last edited:
Back