Looking for a copper snare……

Lodi781

What’s some suggestions? I have a Gretch Brooklyn standard As my only snare and absolutely love it. Just looking to add another option. I gotta say, the tama starphonic copper really has my attention.

I have an Oriollo Bakar 5x14 that I really enjoy. I also have a cast shell Crush 4x14 that’s incredibly crisp, the perfect piccolo. Are you looking for a warmer sound? Copper excels at warmth and resonance. I have a 5x15 Oriollo Bakar with lovely low end and a warm buttery tone. If you want to accentuate the warm resonant quality of copper, I’d go with at least a 5.5 deep drum. Depends on what you’re looking for.

I was thinking of a deeper drum. My snare right now has a really sharp Crack. I'm definitely looking for a mellower pop if that makes sense.

6.5" Ludwig Copperphonic is a wonderful snare.
I was about to recommend this exact snare. I don’t own one, but played one a couple years ago. It really stands out in my mind as one of the all-time best snares I’ve ever played.

What’s some suggestions? I have a Gretch Brooklyn standard As my only snare and absolutely love it. Just looking to add another option. I gotta say, the tama starphonic copper really has my attention.
This one is my next purchase list.... The look is too good... And the Tama Star Reserve Hammered copper!!

If budget isn't a problem I'd get the copperphonic all day.

If you're on a budget check out the Mapex Black Panther Predator

If budget isn't a problem I'd get the copperphonic all day.
If budget is a problem, Trixon has a spun/hammered 1.2mm copper snare with die cast hoops for ~$300:

I really dont like their logo, but the snare itself is rather pretty.

If budget is a problem, Trixon has a spun/hammered 1.2mm copper snare with die cast hoops for ~$300:

I really dont like their logo, but the snare itself is rather pretty.
Bloody hell that's a lot of snare for the price!

I’ve got the Ludwig Hammered Copperphonic 5”x14” snare with Imperial lugs. (The LC660K) It’s been my primary snare for the past year or so. The only reason I bought the Copperphonic was because I wasn’t able to find a Yamaha Roy Haynes Signature snare for a reasonable price, which is extremely similar in construction. I’ve been very happy with my Ludwig purchase and would recommend it to anyone looking for a versatile snare.

I've seen these snares for sale off and on for years, but I've never seen one in the wild or even someone post their own pics of the drum. It gives me "you get what you pay for" vibes but I'd love to be proven wrong.
There have been posts about quality problems with them here.
Yeah I have no idea about it, but stumbled across the snare while looking to see if Dixon made a copper snare (which they don't appear to).

I also found this, but am hesitant about DIY musical instruments:

Aren’t you playing an 8x14 Copperphonic a lot recently?
I do have the 8" Copperphonic and it's nice, but I like the 6.5 better. :)

Oddly, I prefer the 8" Black Beauty to the 6.5" BB.

Back