Paiste PST-7 18" thin crash question

bluesmannus

Hi!
I'm really diggin' the sound of a PST-7 18" thin crash and I'm buying a crash cymbal this month. What I wanted to know from some of you that tried them is whether they break really easy because they are a thin crash? Am I safer buying the medium 18" even though I like the sound of the thin much more? My skill level is beginner/intermediate if that helps any, I think I'm not a hard hitter and I play mostly classic rock and funk. I would really appreciate your input because if I break it I really can't afford another one soon. Thank you all in advance!

one theory is a thinner cymbal will 'give' more and break less
is one theory

cymbals 'on their own' don't crack; they are either played pushed hard against the cymbal stand center stem (resulting in a remote fissure/body line lathe crack; or are mishandled and get edge nicks (dropped even light drops on concrete- edge knicks- that lead to diagonal inward cracks;
You can hit one spot for fifty years with a wood stick and that bronze won't crack- It's Outside- forces- pushed swung/reverse back-buckled against the stand center stem or dropped and causing an edge knick- that leads to cracks.

A thinner cymbal is lighter. Take that into consideration when imagining what and how you want a cymbal to play.
Cracking is another issue regardless

It's not exactly the potato chip test. A thin cymbal can last forever or as long as a thicker cymbal; it's how it's played.

Last edited:
jda has hit the nail on the head. The thickness doesn’t play a massive role in how long a cymbal lasts. The important things to get right are making sure you have a cymbal sleeve, not hitting the cymbal too hard, and making sure you hit the cymbal correctly. If you do that the cymbal should last forever.

Thanks a lot guys, just what I wanted to hear :D
I have never broken a cymbal, but then again I have never owned a thin crash before so I figured it's better to ask someone who knows...

Hi!
I'm really diggin' the sound of a PST-7 18" thin crash and I'm buying a crash cymbal this month. What I wanted to know from some of you that tried them is whether they break really easy because they are a thin crash? Am I safer buying the medium 18" even though I like the sound of the thin much more? My skill level is beginner/intermediate if that helps any, I think I'm not a hard hitter and I play mostly classic rock and funk. I would really appreciate your input because if I break it I really can't afford another one soon. Thank you all in advance!

B8 cymbals will bend on the edge before they crack (ask me how I know!), it's and indicator you're either hitting a thin cymbal too hard, don't have it mounted correctly (too flat of an angle) or are hitting it incorrectly.

Cymbal_care_3.jpg

Seems like most cracked cymbals for sale on eBay are thicker. I've never cracked a cymbal and been bashing hard for a few decades. Makes sense the more pliable the less likely to crack.

Back