I don't really enjoy spending money on "stupid stuff"

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Every once in a while, I always have to buy what I consider "stupid stuff" for my drum set. What is some of this stupid stuff? Any of the following:

heads
sticks
clamps
mic cables
mic clips
microphones
stands
parts for my pedal(s)
tension rods
wingnuts
felts
muffling accessories

Man, how I would love to be buying a new snare or a cool cymbal, but nooooo...I have to buy all of the crap that keeps me going.

Oh well, I should just be thankful that I have to buy the "stupid stuff" because I'm wearing out everything else.

Thanks for allowing me to share my silly rant.

Reminds me of a discussion I had with my teenager about the "true cost of ownership" when he wanted to buy a car. Whether it's an automobile or a drumkit there's the initial outlay and things you'd like to upgrade vs the inevitable parts that wear out and need to be replaced.

Last edited:
It's head costs that slightly bug me.

I have to replace my bass drum batter head and that'll soon set me back £50 alone.

Reheading everything on a four piece kit (top and bottem heads) will cost me around a couple hundred pounds, which is insane.

Ya, I hate all the consumables, too. I especially hate it when I buy something and it doesn’t work for me.

It's head costs that slightly bug me.

I have to replace my bass drum batter head and that'll soon set me back £50 alone.

Reheading everything on a four piece kit (top and bottem heads) will cost me around a couple hundred pounds, which is insane.
I also in the process of changing my batterheads im really going to study this i can not afford to screw it up its just alot of money to get it wrong.

It's called "necessary maintenance."

Every once in a while, I always have to buy what I consider "stupid stuff" for my drum set. What is some of this stupid stuff? Any of the following:

heads
sticks
clamps
mic cables
mic clips
microphones
stands
parts for my pedal(s)
tension rods
wingnuts
felts
muffling accessories

Man, how I would love to be buying a new snare or a cool cymbal, but nooooo...I have to buy all of the crap that keeps me going.

Oh well, I should just be thankful that I have to buy the "stupid stuff" because I'm wearing out everything else.

Thanks for allowing me to share my silly rant.

I must be a cheapskate b/c I do't really ever have to rebuy any of these things....heads last me a long time; probably get new sticks once a year...

I live by the motto: " there ain't nothin' that duct tape and a hammer can't fix"

I actually have some sort of mental problem with buying heads. I dunno, I just keep buying them. And I am reluctant to change the ones I have, which I get plenty of life out of because I don't dent them.

I used to buy a few pairs of sticks before a gig, but lately, I've been shredding away on what I've had now for about 2 years lol. I haven't the money, or even the time to venture to a shop just for a few pieces of wood.

I dont really enjoy spending money. On anything. Its not that I'm cheap, I will absolutely spend more money on a better product. I dont get the enjoyment out of it that others do, even if it's something I really want. There is no excitement about it. Sometimes it even feels like a hassle to have to go buy stuff.

I mean I made a clamp, that's where my head is at.

I am beginning to get the feeling that I will be replacing drum heads as frequently as I change bass strings.

It's a necessary evil to keep your gear ship shape and Bristol fashion.

Bass drum heads are getting insanely expensive. Sticks aren't a problem. Got a trade deal for that but I feel sorry for folk spending top dollar on VFs or Pro Marks.

Head packs are a god send but I'm amassing 10" heads that I'll never use

Pawn shops sticks are what I'm using currently. 2.99 a set but they only had 3 sets like these. No brand name, but they're straighter than GC bulk pack no names.

I must be a cheapskate b/c I do't really ever have to rebuy any of these things....heads last me a long time; probably get new sticks once a year...

I live by the motto: " there ain't nothin' that duct tape and a hammer can't fix"
I guess I have it pretty easy too. I never break sticks any more, and I replace sticks once a year whether I need to or not. As for felts, tension rods and so forth, I only buy those if I have picked up something used or vintage that needs attention. Muffling? I don't use any usually. IDK, it is all part of the game: like putting gas in the tank and changing oil and filters &c.

Back