Sonor Aq2 vs Mapex Armory

Stoked2

Hi Drummers , been a long time since I posted on here . I had to play my drums with mesh heads and triggers for over 9 yrs . I have recently moved and can finally play drums acoustically, thank God! I own a Sonor Aq 2 7pc, but recently I have been checking out the Mapex Armorys . Dealers don't stock many and a few told me they dont sell welland that's why! But I don't care about that, because, from their looks. construction, and multiple videos I have listened to they seeming awesome drums for the money . The shells are both built in the same factory, the Mapexes being birch/maple and the Sonor Aq2's are maple. The Saturns are awesome but I don't need to spend that if I don't have to . I know the choice is mine ultimately, but do you peeps have any experience with both or either one? If so, what are your thoughts .Thanks Jeff

Last edited:
Price wise there's not much between an Armory and a Saturn new. If you wanna save a few pennies get a Saturn 3 used.

The AQ2s aren't bad drums either!

Curious , have you played both the Armory and the aq2 . I the difference between the Armory 6 pc includes a snare and Saturn 5pc with no snare is 700 and with a cheap snare say a1000. No used for me , limited to color, no warranty and a lot more leg work. If you know a kit close to you and the drummer, different story . Thanks to you and others for your feedback!

Hi Stoked2 and welcome back. I am a big Sonor guy. I have played the AQ2 kit and it's a very good kit. Nice warm sound and solid hardware. Limited color for the kits tho. Mapex kits and hardware are O.K. (IMO). If you purchase the Mapex kit you can exchange the basic steel snare for other Armory snare, I think. Mapex makes very good snares and if can exchange one that's in that family it's a plus.

I heard Mapex, stopped the snare exchange Program, but I hope I am wrong., if I go that route. But snares are easy to add to the collection, anytime. So , I don't gig anymore , but like playing to music when I can. Have you ever played the Mapex Saturn kits? Nobody has Mapex or Sonor kits in inventory and definitely on the floor in a Guitar Center or Sam Ash. Only cheaper end kits on the floor mostly, so I couldn't play one or both to compare

Last edited:
I own a Sonor Aq 2 7pc, but recently I have been checking out the Mapex Armorys .
So you know all about the Sonor AQ2 already. The Mapex Armory is gonna be a slightly different beast. You can correct me if I'm wrong (since you own an AQ2) ..... but I believe the Sonor bearing edge's are single 45°. The Mapex Soniclear is 45° with a roundover.

Here's a Modern Drummer "bearing edge" article ..... https://www.moderndrummer.com/2014/...es were the,mellower and warmer overall sound.

AQ2 has a 10 lug bass drum. Armory has 8. Maybe that's a plus in your book, maybe not.;)

I honesty dont know jack about the Sonor kit acoustically , because I had to put mesh heads on it and trigger it for 1 1/2 years because I lived in a second floor condo. I moved so I am building a drum room or buying or building a whisper room so I can play a kit acoustically. The mylar heads have never been on the kit from day one. My Sonor kick is a 20 inch so it has 8 lugs, but yeah the 22 inch has 10. Checking out the bearing edge video now! Thanks so much for the input. I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Well ..... I think you're gonna like the AQ2 when you get "real" heads on it, and get it all tuned up. The AQ2's certainly have a following. Of course, what head combo you choose will greatly tailor the sound you get out of it.

I was thinking , clear Emperors on the tom batters , clear Ambassadors on resos . Maybe a Uv1 or Coated Ambassador on the snare batter and a hazy on the reso . Kick I don't know. What are your suggestions for all the drums.

Certainly that's a common, popular combo for head choice. I like a lot of different drums, and drum sounds. I pretty much use clear or coated Ambassadors reso. on most of my kits. Batter ..... coated Ambassador, coated Emperor, coated P3, clear CS and clear Pinstripe are pretty much my go-to's, depending on what sound I want.

Nice! So, you try different ones depending on where and what you are going after! Makes sense! What are your favorite kick choices, batter and reso

I have an Armory Sabre snare that I use with my Saturn kit that did not come with one. It seems like good quality to me. Peace and goodwill.

100_0586.JPG

Makes sense! What are your favorite kick choices, batter and reso
My main reso. heads seem to be either Ambassador or P3 (sometimes in factory logo form) ..... so ..... single ply, sometimes with an overtone "richie" ring. And I have a Fiberskyn reso. on my 26x14 Ludwig 3 ply.

Batter ..... Powerstroke3, Aquarian Superkick I & II, and Evans EMAD are what I use most.

I started out playing before the Pinstripe head (1974) ..... so old school methods of muffling was done with felt strips. And putting stuff in the bass drum. Nowdays, I keep my bass drum empty, and use various head combo's to control how much wide open boom vs. punch/thud.

Used the felt strip in my 67 Ludwigs. Funny you mentioned just using different types of heads to dampen or liven you bass drum tone. Rob "Beat Down Brown" did a recent you tube vid on kick drum technique , and spoke on not stuffing pillows in his bass drum

Back