Mapex 14"x5,5" Special Edition Snare

Hi all, I am considering buying a Mapex Black Panther 14×5,5 as a second snare. Any thoughts about this snare? Ofcourse I know I have to follow my own taste and gut feeling. But some thought of other drummers would be appreciated.

What kind of Black Panther? Generally they're all great snares, but theres a lot of difference between a hammered metal snare a walnut snare, for example. What kind of music do you mainly play?

What kind of Black Panther? Generally they're all great snares, but theres a lot of difference between a hammered metal snare a walnut snare, for example. What kind of music do you mainly play?
Mapex 14x5,5 special edition snare. I mainly play classic rock and blues. The blues somtimes touches funk. And that is where I want a more snappy snare

What’s your first snare? You’d want your second to be at least a bit different..
My first snare is a Sonor SQ1 14x6.5. I am looking for something less heavy and more snappy, if you know what I mean. Totally satisfied with my SQ1, I will use the Mapex additional for certain, more funky songs.

Mapex 14x5,5 special edition snare. I mainly play classic rock and blues. The blues somtimes touches funk. And that is where I want a more snappy snare
I'm sure it'll be great for what you play. If you can tell us what kind of shell (what it's made out of, wood, steel, hammered brass etc) we could probably help a bit better, but in general I'd say it'll do the job. Black Panthers sound awesome, look cool and are built to last. You can't really go wrong with them.

I'm sure it'll be great for what you play. If you can tell us what kind of shell (what it's made out of, wood, steel, hammered brass etc) we could probably help a bit better, but in general I'd say it'll do the job. Black Panthers sound awesome, look cool and are built to last. You can't really go wrong with them.
It is made of maple.

My first snare is a Sonor SQ1 14x6.5. I am looking for something less heavy and more snappy, if you know what I mean. Totally satisfied with my SQ1, I will use the Mapex additional for certain, more funky songs.
I guess that the difference in weight between a 5.5 and 6.5 will be negligible. Tuning will have the biggest influence on the sound, so maybe consider a bigger contrast between the models. How about checking out a bunch of used drums in person?

The difference in depth does influence the sound and character of the snare. Ofcourse tuning is very important too, but size does matter 😊

Back