What shoes do you wear for drumming?

I prefer socks. Removes a bunch of variables that could effect how I'm feeling the pedals, how high my heels are lifted up, how long my footprint is, etc...

Back in the 70's I was into Black Oak Arkansas and their drummer, Tommy Aldridge, wore these cool blue suede track shoes. He was such a phenomenal drummer , "it had to be the shoes", as the saying goes. I talked one of my Aunt's into giving me an early birthday present, (she was known for buying you something if you needed it and call it an "early" present) of shoes just like Tommy wore. They looked cool, but it really wasn't the shoes. I played about the same as I always did. Just goes to show ya....1662304227317.png

Doubt if I'm the first to ask this but what kind of shoes do you wear while drumming? I have always wore Chucks but I just ordered a pair of flat bottom boxing boots. Bright red with some white stripes (yea it's more a fashion statement). Curious now that I ordered them if anyone has used them and if not what do you wear?
I find that these, with the custom sole give me the best feel for the pedal.

Attachments

• Pedal Shoe.jpg
    Pedal Shoe.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 10
Flip flops in the spring summer and fall , Crocs in the winter . Quick change behind the kit for formal occasion gigs , like weddings . I can't seem to play comfortably in regular footwear and socks . When I was a young drummer it was bare feet .

Adidas Stan Smiths in triple black. You can use them at anything from a jazz gig to thrash metal. They always look appropriate, are good on the pedals, and don't leave your feet soar after load in, playing, and tear down.

I've seen these threads before, and was always interested in the why...I always played in my Nikes.

Recently I played a gig where my feet were almost soaked from sweat, so I took my sneakers and socks off and played barefoot for the rest of the gig. It was very...eye opening...

Now I'm going to probably investigate some lightweight sneakers for playing.

Barefoot was ok for me in my first years of developing, but anymore it doesn't feel as dialed in or as versatile. I bet even a piece of corrugated cardboard would feel better than nothing.

I’ve found that skateboard shoes are great. They usually have Goodyear rubber soles that grip the pedals well. They are kind of tight though, so you need to buy a half-size higher than your normal size.

When I started playing drums i used to play with socks in winter and barefoot in summer but now I play mostly with Vans.

Does anyone know if Weckl still uses these?
md186cs_0048.jpg

These boots are perfect. The black leather gets softer than the brown leather. The elastic sides allow for movement in the ankles. The square toe meshes nicely on pedals. They polish up nicely, and they look great with jeans.

Back