pedal beater problem

rocker261

I've got a Yamaha double pedal from around the late 80's, that have felt beater on them. I want to replace them with a hard plastic beater. I tried the standard DW beaters that I have on the Yamaha pedals, and they didn't insert. Turns out the Yamaha beaters have one side of the shaft flattened, while the DW's are fully round in the shaft so they didn't fit. Does anyone make beater shafts with a flat side? What are my options?

Can you unscrew the felt beater from the Yamaha shaft, and then replace it with a plastic one.

Or ..... no grinder ...... maybe a bench vice and a metal file?

I just checked my FP 901 pedal (which I'm sure is older) and it has a round beater shaft. Perplexing that Yamaha would go to something so "non-universal".

Can you unscrew the felt beater from the Yamaha shaft, and then replace it with a plastic one.

Or ..... no grinder ...... maybe a bench vice and a metal file?

I just checked my FP 901 pedal (which I'm sure is older) and it has a round beater shaft. Perplexing that Yamaha would go to something so "non-universal".
The felt beater looks to be very attached and not removable. Here's a photo of the shaft, if you look closely, you can see the flat side. I hate to buy new beaters then screw them up if I don't grind them correctly.

Attachments

• 20220907_193045.jpg
    20220907_193045.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 4
The felt beater looks to be very attached and not removable. Here's a photo of the shaft, if you look closely, you can see the flat side. I hate to buy new beaters then screw them up if I don't grind them correctly.
Must have been something Yamaha did for just a few years. Every Yamaha I've ever seen, accepts round shafts. I don't know of any aftermarket beater manufacturer that makes a flat sided shaft like that.

Might it be possible to drill out the hole in the cam, where you insert the beater shaft? Make it round?

I tried hard to get my round shaft beaters to go in. They get part way and stop. If trying to drill out that part of the pedal, it may risk damaging the part where the set screw that holds the beater in place. Then the whole pedal would be useless. Filing down a beater shaft is less risky if it doesn't go well. But still not big on trying to work with metal, since it's trial and error. Really sucks! And must have been a short lived pedal since I can't find any shafts that have that flat part.

...... But still not big on trying to work with metal, since it's trial and error. Really sucks! And must have been a short lived pedal since I can't find any shafts that have that flat part.
So it sorta comes down to ....... can you live with the factory felt beaters? And if you really want plastic (or at least the option to change beaters) ..... maybe selling this double and getting another would be the smart move. Cut your losses and move on;)

Can you post a picture of the pedals? I'd like to do a little research on them. See if I can find any info on them.

Also ..... underneath the footboard, there might be a model #. Post that, and no need for a picture.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not handy with tools, but do you think you or someone you know could round-out hole where the shaft goes into the pedal? That way, you could use whatever you wanted.

Oh, and screw Yamaha and their proprietary hardware and wiring.

I don't know of any aftermarket beater manufacturer that makes a flat sided shaft like that.
I made a beater out of a tennis ball. The beater shaft I used is flat spotted on one side:

20220908_073045.jpg

It had an unlabeled wooden ball on it. No idea of the manufacturer.

Might it be possible to drill out the hole in the cam, where you insert the beater shaft? Make it round?
round-out hole where the shaft goes into the pedal
Use a HSS bit with a drill press, no problem. No HSS bit or drill press? Curved files will take forever but should work.

Can you post a picture of the pedals? I'd like to do a little research on them. See if I can find any info on them.

Also ..... underneath the footboard, there might be a model #. Post that, and no need for a pictuHere is a photo of one of the pedals. There is no model or any writing of any sort on the bottom. Only that it's made in Japan.
Here is a photo of one pedal. There is no model number anywhere to be found on it, only that it's a Yamaha professional model made in Japan.

Attachments

• 20220908_115233.jpg
    20220908_115233.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 2
Here is a photo of one pedal.
Seems to me, I've seen that design .... but it accepted round shaft beaters. So it must've been only a few years the ran with this flat shaft design.

Back