TAMA SC W/B 5-pc, TAMA SC Maple 3-pc, Gretsch Brooklyn 4-pc, Sonor SQ1 3-pc

Just when I decide…😂

I think the Maples are definitely a little smoother and have a more robust sound overall but the w/b is no slouch. . I don't think you would get the w/b's and somehow be anywhere near dissappointed.

I brought them up only because RK1 said he likes to eat, which might imply that the sets he's considering are at the boundaries of the budget.
I probably should have used Superstar Classics as an example instead as RK1 is a Tama fan.
Nothing more from me here.
That is fair, it never read malicious to me and think you had a thoughtful reply. The response you got read to me as light-hearted sarcasm. I think we have a great community with a passionate common interested here.

I'll leave this here in case you haven't seen it.

I think you have your heart set on a Tama kit but since you mentioned musical sounding drums as a desirable thing, the Renowns could jump to the top of your list, depending how important that characteristic is to you.

Drum shopping is fun.

Last edited:
My ears say the SCM sounds more musical. The W/B has a great low fundamental, but it seems a little more opaque if that makes sense. If I’m feeling jazzy or channeling Copeland, I don’t know if the W/B will give back as much as the SCM.

The W/B is a brilliant kit, budget considerations offer more toms, but I suppose I needed to be talked into a smaller, more versatile (tuning) SCM.
Are four toms a requirement?
Which has the better finish?
Will you want additional drums at a later date? Tama and others have extremely long wait times for custom orders and add-ons.

I don't know what/where you play, but only under the stethoscope of you and an audio engineer will you be able to hear a reasonable difference between the two kit builds.

For me, the dealbreaker is the tom tree. I had one on a previous kit and I was never 100% satisfied with my tom placement. Ever since I went with a virgin bass drum I've not had that problem.

Are four toms a requirement?
Which has the better finish?
Will you want additional drums at a later date? Tama and others have extremely long wait times for custom orders and add-ons.

I don't know what/where you play, but only under the stethoscope of you and an audio engineer will you be able to hear a reasonable difference between the two kit builds.

For me, the dealbreaker is the tom tree. I had one on a previous kit and I was never 100% satisfied with my tom placement. Ever since I went with a virgin bass drum I've not had that problem.
I read somewhere that the weight of the tom tree may become an issue. Could be why the W/B has thicker shells…

I'll leave this here in case you haven't seen it.

I think you have your heart set on a Tama kit but since you mentioned musical sounding drums as a desirable thing, the Renowns could jump to the top of your list, depending how important that characteristic is to you.

Drum shopping is fun.

Saw it along time ago… I should probably revise the title because if I went Gretsch I’d probably get a Brooklyn.

SCM. If it fits the budget.
Wonderful sounding, versatile and high quality drums that will probably be a long term kit.
Most owners hang on to them for years because they are so happy with them they never feel the need to go elsewhere.
They are definitely established in the forever kit market.

Saw it along time ago… I should probably revise the title because if I went Gretsch I’d probably get a Brooklyn.
Revising the thread title is a good idea and would save people some energy. Click the three dots at the top of the thread and choose the Edit option. You would be doing us a kindness.

How many times have you read in Modern Drummer from endorsers of other brands saying but I have a set of Gretsch drums at home that I dearly love. I've even read it from Porcaro. BUT...if your not that good don't get the Gretsch kit..they have to much of a reputation to live up to 😃.

How many times have you read in Modern Drummer from endorsers of other brands saying but I have a set of Gretsch drums at home that I dearly love. I've even read it from Porcaro. BUT...if your not that good don't get the Gretsch kit..they have to much of a reputation to live up to 😃.
Gretsch is dope, but TAMA is where the heart is at…

Revising the thread title is a good idea and would save people some energy. Click the three dots at the top of the thread and choose the Edit option. You would be doing us a kindness.
Done. Gretsch Brooklyn and SQ1 have entered the discussion. Sonor sells itself. I actually have an older one.

I always worry about Gretsch’s QC whereas TAMA and Sonor are worry free (even Pearl). Gretsch does have that old school mojo and I went in my uncle’s studio in Nashville and the studio kit was a Gretsch. Being the younger nephew, I asked why they didn’t have a kit with balls. ‘Kick them in the stomach. Buy a TAMA.’ It was tongue-in-cheek.

His drummer plays a Pearl Masters. He’s the son of the keyboardist for The Swampers and knew Roger Hawkins.

It’s not an issue for Simon.

View attachment 123257
Simon doesn’t actually need that Star kit when a Stage Custom will do the job. Yamaha doesn’t need the PHX line at all. Everyone should play a Stage Custom. I’m surprised everyone has survived since 1995. Sorry Mr. Gadd, we will offer you a Stage Custom since there’s no need for the RC anymore.

Simon doesn’t actually need that Star kit when a Stage Custom will do the job. Yamaha doesn’t need the PHX line at all. Everyone should play a Stage Custom. I’m surprised everyone has survived since 1995. Sorry Mr. Gadd, we will offer you a Stage Custom since there’s no need for the RC anymore.

Tama doesn't need the Starclassic maples because they've got the Superstar maples.

Back