Craviotto snare drum review.

$2500 bucks?

Geez, I guess I don’t aspire to greatness then, because I would hope someone would slap me silly before I ever spent $2500 on a drum ;). Then again, I own a Ludwig and Ludwig Standard from sometime between 39 and 41…but it was a Christmas gift when I was 7. I get why people do it, because some folks do aspire to it. But I am definitely not one of them. Even my upright bass cost less.

....just a hard working man...who loves his drums.
Nothing wrong with that. Just not my thang. I honestly don’t even feel like getting a backup snare. I’m so spoiled by mine that I don’t think anything compares. I know they do, but not to me.

Your Frugal responses are getting old .
What can I tell you, Rick? But hey, at least I bought good stuff and actually replaced a couple cymbal stands that worked fine ;).

Lovely drum , I have an affinity for Birdseye maple . A steambent Birdseye maple snare is a rare beast indeed . I love the subtlety and nuance that comes from a steambent single ply snare . Enjoy your drum .
Did I mention that my L and L is birdseye maple? And I got it free. Ha! The Cheap Guy strikes again!

Nothing wrong with that. Just not my thang. I honestly don’t even feel like getting a backup snare. I’m so spoiled by mine that I don’t think anything compares. I know they do, but not to me.
I wish I could be happy with just one drum but, I'm a drum tech that supports various artist and studios(Including my own) I enjoy all the feed back though(thank you all) just here to share, and promote the industry during these hard times.

Your Frugal responses are getting old .Some people can appreciate these exquisite instruments and can justify the cost . We know you are on a budget , and we know you have E your dream snare . Do you need to take people to task every time they post a nice expensive drum ?
Aw, you were serious. Didn’t see the extra edit you did. I took nobody to task. T is a free man who is entitled to spend his money how he wants, as are you, and I fully respect it. I choose to find cheaper solutions, partly out of necessity, partly because I don’t think gear makes you play any better. I like all of it, the high end and the low end. But if T was offended, my humble apologies.

I wish I could be happy with just one drum but, I'm a drum tech that supports various artist and studios(Including my own) I enjoy all the feed back though(thank you all) just here to share, and promote the industry during these hard times.
You don’t have to explain a thing to me, T. I get why folks love the high end stuff and lots of it.

Cool mod choices. The Bradys and JC Craviottos are inflating quite bit since their passing which will make them more collector pieces than instruments unfortunately. Glad yours is getting played and not behind a glass case as what they are made for. Unless an historical to preserve it's delicate nature, the drum is should be played.

On the other hand, the private reserve name is pretentiously placed and priced for exclusivity yet there are alot of them available...just very highly priced, now well over $5k. I think your right, they should have limited the run but looks like you could now sell this drum well above $2500 your ask....as long as it doesn't get damaged in its handling. Personally, I would not want to own something like this but I enjoy watching others that do, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for posting. I will never be able to own most of the drums you share, but I enjoy your analysis and description and customisation of them. I'm looking forward to the tuning post!

Beautiful snare. Not overpriced for the work that has gone into it.

There's nothing mass produced with steambents, lot of skilled work goes into them. I've paid for the privilege to build a steambent (and that didn't involve the steambending bit!) If it was my day job I'd want paying very well, I was bloody knackered by the time I'd finished!

Buy what you want, play what blows your hair back. Value and "worth" are always the magical "whatever someone else is willing to pay for it". If you like the drum and the price was "fine" enjoy the heck out of it.

Cool drum. Always liked Birdseye......still do.

IMG_0771.jpegThese 2 drums I believe are from the first Private Reserve run 2012..2 of the very best snare drums I have played.

Back