Whatcha Reading Right Now?

Started reading Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson. A co-worker said that it's a great book and the first in a 10 book series. Looks like I'll be busy for a while. :giggle:

Are audiobooks reading?
Yes absolutely!
Audiobooks are in no way "cheating". In fact there is a learning curve where you have to train your brain to "listen quickly", so the reader doesn't leave you behind and you have to keep rewinding. It takes a little while to be able to listen to dense material at reading speed. It's totally worth it though.

Audiobooks can even increase the speed of your scholarship, especially if you find good readers. That is, someone who speaks naturally and sounds like they understand the material already. That makes all the difference in the world. Rather than a deadpan reading from a bored college student, etc.
Master readers really bring that old literature to life. Guys like Richard Pasco, or Bob Neufeld and Stewart Wills from the Librivox website.
Public domain audiobook literature, read by passionate readers, is my new favorite way to "read".
Bob Neufeld reading Emerson and Plato is the chronic. 🔥

I like reading evolutionary and genetic studies of human traits, societies, social constructs, abstract conventions like philosophies, music and instruments, etc. I'm real disappointed drums aren't early in archaeological finds-but no it's flutes-even Neanderthal were making them. The lithophone-a xylophone using rocks as resonators-even predates any drum found. Dang early humans weren't to bright-makes me think perhaps this ability and comprehension evolved recently. Our abilities to comprehend and enjoy music have genetic/environmental elements (chromosome segments-individual genes identified)-some people don't like or enjoy music-it's a real thing. How religions, governments, single individual become rulers (and how and why masses would abdicate)-be it theocrat, dictator, president, etc, art, music, languages, science, etc evolved and because they did -for what purpose and WHY? I think the abstract "why" questions are just as important, if not more important, than the "how" and "what" in exploring phenomena. We move from a focus to a wider view in trying to understand "why" questions. I find my views have changed to be more open trying to understand "why" than the how. How's I get super focused and tend to hone in on strong opinions-whereas looking at "why" I've moderated my tone. As my mother would tell me-you can't see the forest for the trees. But Mom I love the trees LOL.
When was the paragraph invented? And when did you uninvent it again?

Back