Gretsch 135th Engraved Aluminum Anniversary Snare

NouveauCliche

Hey all!

I was at the Professional Drum Shop this week while I was in LA doing some recording and I made an impulse buy...

...I picked up the Gretsch 135th Engraved Aluminum Anniversary Snare!!! I remember seeing the video of Lucas from the Gretsch family and his uncle Fred Gretsch unveiling this at NAMM a few years ago and I thought that I would snag that snare one day and today is that day!!!

Here's from the factory write up:

The 14x5 Gretsch 135th Anniversary Commemorative Snare Drum (G4160-A135) has a solid Aluminum shell that's been hand engraved by master engraver Eric Sooy. This Gretsch Snare Drum features 8 lugs, a Lightning Throw-Off, 301 Single Flanged Hoops with Mini Claw Hooks, a Snap in Key Holder, 42-strand snare wires, and a Remo Permatone drumhead with a Gretsch Logo. The Drum has a natural Aluminum finish, chrome hardware, and includes with a Limited Edition Deluxe Carrying Case.

I have a show Saturday that I'll use it for and let you know how it plays!! Chances are I won't tour much with it - but it's a beauty and the video of the hand engraving is reallyyyy cool:

Attachments

• IMG_7861.jpg
    IMG_7861.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7863.jpg
    IMG_7863.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7864.jpg
    IMG_7864.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7862.jpg
    IMG_7862.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7865.jpg
    IMG_7865.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 12
Use this drum , if you like the sound it deserves to be played . I play my engraved Ludwig Black Beauty a lot . I was like yourself and did not play it a lot after I got it , but I came to the conclusion that it was one of my best sounding drums and what not use it ? Drums are to be played not kept on a shelf .

Looks great Nick. Can't wait to hear it!

Had the first show with it last night - it sounded awesome in the mix with the kit. Whole band loved it!

Use this drum , if you like the sound it deserves to be played . I play my engraved Ludwig Black Beauty a lot . I was like yourself and did not play it a lot after I got it , but I came to the conclusion that it was one of my best sounding drums and what not use it ? Drums are to be played not kept on a shelf .

Oh man - I had this chat with my bass player. He was asking if I was going to keep it for special shows...but it sounded so good and played so well that I figure I'll just use this as much as I can. I'm hooked on the sound now - so I'm with this haha. The only snare I own that stays locked up is the "One Headlight" N&C - but that's kind of a relic haha.

I saw one of these at Fork's a while back and the engraving is amazing!

Yea - very nice in person. I'm really almost surprised how pretty it actually is in person!

Wow, that looks cool AF! Engraving skills are crazy. I’m with Rhumba, looking forward to hearing it!

Thanks - Yea I'll get some video up when I get some!!!

Sounded awesome last night - it's hard to describe. It's dry but has this "wah" kind of tone that's very pleasant and the rim shots are wonderful...not sure if it's because of the single flange hoops or what - but it's great. It's both crisp and kind of wet at the same time - very unique sound and a lovely pitch where I have it cranked it up to with now boxiness.

Beautiful drum. That video is really cool. I love the vaudevillian music in the background. Is the shell thick?

Beautiful drum. That video is really cool. I love the vaudevillian music in the background. Is the shell thick?

I actually don't know the shell thickness - but it feels pretty thin and pretty light.

Finally got it on stage to give it a listen - sounds great.

Nice crack - very interesting tone...the band was commenting that it sounds "hollow" but in a good way which I think might be the airy dryness of an aluminum snare.

Took a quick cell phone video so you could hear it:

Attachments

• IMG_8003.jpg
    IMG_8003.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 5
Back