I know why I’m in bands

I am in bands b/c I work cheap....and I don't drink, sp there is an instant DD

Just curious, i have never used IEM's cause i have ear issues and don't like stuff in them.. but i use ultraphones, do you find any advantage of IEM's over old style cans?

I can't use IEM's or ear plugs for this same reason

I use Vic Firth iso headphones at practice and usually nothing on stage...for multi band festivals I can resort to the VF Etymotic ear plugs

Yes. I don't wear phones for the entire show, but having the -25db earplugs in by default also protects my hearing from loud click tracks.
Wearing both isn't a problem. I come out of a 2.5 hour heavy hitting show with no ringing in my ears at all.

I wish IEMs and ethernet/Dante monitor systems (e.g., Aviom) were as ubiquitous as floor wedges. Being able to tweak my own monitor mix either at any time is a luxury, but it should be the norm.

On the other hand, I have “swimmer’s ear”. My ear canals have “bony outgrowth” from years surfing cold water. My ear canals look like an inside-out rose stem. Small spikes of calcium protrude into my ear canal and it looks like a cave in a horror movie. I went to an audiologist to get fitted for custom IEMs and was denied. She said that due to my condition, she couldn’t guarantee the fit, nor recommended what I was doing. I’m stuck with Ultraphones on stage.

That said, what do y’all suggest for non-custom fit IEM gear? I’ve seen offerings by Shure and other brands but I don’t know how well they attenuate the sound.

Yes, I also use GK Ultraphones. One advantage is I can also wear my -25db in ear hearing protection under the headphones.
My god man... with my ultraphones on i can play as hard as i can and barely hear anything... i was beyond shocked at how much sound they killed... you went full helen keller on yours :)

P.S. i'm also amazingly shocked at how loud my drums are when i turn my head and the headphone seals unseal... :)

My god man... with my ultraphones on i can play as hard as i can and barely hear anything... i was beyond shocked at how much sound they killed... you went full helen keller on yours :)

P.S. i'm also amazingly shocked at how loud my drums are when i turn my head and the headphone seals unseal... :)
I’m stealing that Helen Keller line 😂

Back