Yamaha DTX6K3-X vs DTX950K

That’s interesting to hear that- why then are our super duper tcs silicon Yamaha pads not the market leaders?
mesh still seems to be king out there?

Well, they are the market leaders in that no one else offers a 3-zone pads, with no hot spots out-of-the box, with on board pad controllers, on-board level output adjusters, etc apart from Yamaha. Not to mention the pad feel etc. (This also applied to Yamaha's rubber pads, which again were market leading....)

Mesh is cheap - bit of door screening and a piezo - so implemented by many manufacturers (to varying degrees of success, obs).

Roland users - like Apple users - shout a lot more - so there's a "I'm going to buy a kit - it must be mesh as I've heard it's the best" ;)

And, of course, Yamaha is really cr*p at marketing, even thought it's the largest instrument manufacturer ;)

Roland users - like Apple users - shout a lot more - so there's a "I'm going to buy a kit - it must be mesh as I've heard it's the best" ;)
ironically it’s the android users who shit on others more, and if you already tried a roland you wouldn’t want to play much else since as expensive as they are they are still the best kits made today in pretty much every category

Mesh is just a type of material, there are huge differences between brands and sizes, thickness etc. It's like saying all cotton is the same as the shirt you pickup up at Walmart...

Mesh is just a type of material, there are huge differences between brands and sizes, thickness etc. It's like saying all cotton is the same as the shirt you pickup up at Walmart...

Indeed. And single / dual / triple layer etc. Why I always tell people to test drive before buying.

(I have some meshy stuff floating around here somewhere ;) )

8DBC7CD1-670D-40AD-B3A5-054B75393CDA.jpeg
Overall satisfied. Bass drum is great, little noisy but it feels good. Guitar center was kind enough to include the double pedals. Hihat isn’t out up yet but it also came with the stand and snare stand. Really satisfied with how it was shipped also. Great job GC in Oklahoma. Cymbals seem like they need adjusting with sensitivity as the triggering feels loose. Pretty happy overall. Oh yea and the DTX heads feel great. Really a step up from the trampoline mesh. Yamaha has something special here and I really think their drum line is just getting started. Thanks all for the communications, may post a video here in the future.

now you only need a good vst
And with the acoustically recorded Yamaha 900 and Motif sounds you don’t even need those.

Especially when you get the expansion pack sounds from Ocean Way like the PHX, Oak X, DW Collector’s, Bamboo snares, FRP snares and more.

In terms of sounds and midi options, Yamaha is king.

In terms of pr and how to work through settings, Roland is king.

And with the acoustically recorded Yamaha 900 and Motif sounds you don’t even need those.

Especially when you get the expansion pack sounds from Ocean Way like the PHX, Oak X, DW Collector’s, Bamboo snares, FRP snares and more.
I'm going to disagree. I have the ocean way kits on my lowly DTX 700, and they are a significant upgrade over the default options.

However, the sounds I get from SSD5 are better in every respect.

I'm going to disagree. I have the ocean way kits on my lowly DTX 700, and they are a significant upgrade over the default options.

However, the sounds I get from SSD5 are better in every respect.
any on board sounds can’t compete with a proper vst, unless the module is running the vst out of the box

Just briefly chiming in to welcome TS to the DTX club.

I bought my DTX900 new in 2011. Added some tom and a few extra cymbals. Skipped the hexrack since I only use them for recording and practice. Been played daily and recording commercial releases (mainly progmetal/rock/funk) for ourselves and clients. Obviously via VSTs and connected workstation (SD3, BFD3, AD – as per below links) They still look and feel like new after 10 years. Best buy I ever did. I hate mesh heads by the way.

IMG_0872 (redigerad).JPG

Just briefly chiming in to welcome TS to the DTX club.

I bought my DTX900 new in 2011. Added some tom and a few extra cymbals. Skipped the hexrack since I only use them for recording and practice. Been played daily and recording commercial releases (mainly progmetal/rock/funk) for ourselves and clients. Obviously via VSTs and connected workstation (SD3, BFD3, AD – as per below links) They still look and feel like new after 10 years. Best buy I ever did. I hate mesh heads by the way.

View attachment 107150
That looks absolutely beautiful. Which cymbals did you go with? I have heard we must stick with yamahas as there’s just the one input for 3 zone? Also can you give me more info on your VST set up? I got a midi cable and downloaded Ardour (Linux). But it’s free version and the built in sounds on Ardour aren’t great. Could you elaborate on your VST setup? Thanks so much, and your right on the longevity. I got mine used and it looks and feels brand new. Also not a fan of mesh pads, mesh actually feels like it strains the wrist more than what these DTXs feel like.

That looks absolutely beautiful. Which cymbals did you go with? I have heard we must stick with yamahas as there’s just the one input for 3 zone? Also can you give me more info on your VST set up? I got a midi cable and downloaded Ardour (Linux). But it’s free version and the built in sounds on Ardour aren’t great. Could you elaborate on your VST setup? Thanks so much, and your right on the longevity. I got mine used and it looks and feels brand new. Also not a fan of mesh pads, mesh actually feels like it strains the wrist more than what these DTXs feel like.
All pads and cymbals are Yamaha. You can think of Yamaha as the Mac of e-drums. They are mostly only compatible with themselves. I have been recording with drum VST:s for well over 10 years. A custom built PC, RME UCX audio interface, and then a cable from MIDI out on the module to MIDI in on my interface. Any interface would work as long as the drivers are stable and the computer is reasonably fresh.

Nowadays I only use Superior Drummer 3 and various expansions. Others are fine too. Notably BFD3 and Addictive Drums. Some like Steven Slate (which I have shelved completely). Native Instruments have some decent libraries in their Abbey Road Series, but not a fan, since one needs to run them via Kontakt. So only SD3 for me. No comparison.

If you have Linux as OS I cannot be too much of assistance. Most DAWs are competent. I know REAPER (from Cockoo) also have a Linux version. I myself use Cakewalk (former SONAR) since forever. Or REAPER.

So drums > Audio interface > PC > DAW.

All pads and cymbals are Yamaha. You can think of Yamaha as the Mac of e-drums. They are mostly only compatible with themselves. I have been recording with drum VST:s for well over 10 years. A custom built PC, RME UCX audio interface, and then a cable from MIDI out on the module to MIDI in on my interface. Any interface would work as long as the drivers are stable and the computer is reasonably fresh.

Nowadays I only use Superior Drummer 3 and various expansions. Others are fine too. Notably BFD3 and Addictive Drums. Some like Steven Slate (which I have shelved completely). Native Instruments have some decent libraries in their Abbey Road Series, but not a fan, since one needs to run them via Kontakt. So only SD3 for me. No comparison.

If you have Linux as OS I cannot be too much of assistance. Most DAWs are competent. I know REAPER (from Cockoo) also have a Linux version. I myself use Cakewalk (former SONAR) since forever. Or REAPER.

So drums > Audio interface > PC > DAW.
I never had issues with using yamaha pads on other modules, or Vice versa in the 20 years im using both Yamaha and Roland on the road and in the studio.

Sometimes you do need to dive in the menu (but you have to do that any way to get the best out of a module in general)

I never had issues with using yamaha pads on other modules, or Vice versa in the 20 years im using both Yamaha and Roland on the road and in the studio.

Sometimes you do need to dive in the menu (but you have to do that any way to get the best out of a module in general)

+1

Update:
The pads feel very acoustic like. However the kick quality has gone down and hitting the pad is very loud now. Also getting ghost rapid fire triggering for both the ride and snare. Luckily I got the 36 month gold coverage by musicians friend so I'll check back in to say how it goes.

I ditched the kick pad on my DTX6 k3 x pretty quickly ( now sold..) as I didn't like the feel of the pad or the noise as it was struck in the room.

Are the acoustics kits as standard on the 900 much better than those on my 502? If so I may take a look…
Actually I just checked the data lists; maple, birch, oak, beech are common to both and they’re the only ones I use so I’ll stick.

Last edited:
Back