WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE TRIPLET LICKS?

NickSchles

When thinking about classic Rock drummers of the 70s, I tend of think of John Bonham, Neil Peart and Keith Moon. I love all of them yet, invariably, my favourite is Neil Peart, R.I.P. That said, I’ve always loved John Bonham’s massive sound, and his creative use of triplets, be it his shuffles or his triplet licks.

Now, one of the things that's always bothered me about YouTube / Instagram drumming culture is that it’s very focused on licks and patterns. I’m a strong believer in creative application of concepts in order to develop these things ourselves. This because it helps develop our own self-expression / voice. I actually wrote a whole book about it, published by Hudson Music. Check it out here, if you’re curious.

Anyhow, with that in mind, I put together a little drum lesson based on triplets for those interested. It’s an article with 3 PDFs aimed at showing some examples of creative uses with triplets. Of course, as I say to my students, take the ideas and make them their own!

Here's a video with a couple of ideas I've come up with based on that lesson:

If you’re keen, check out the article here.

What are your favourite triplet licks?

Last edited:
I've always taken a lot of inspiration from the amazing RIchard Bailey on Jeff Beck's 'Blow by Blow' (best album and recording of all time IMHO - produced by George Martin!). There's enough triplet licks in this track to sink a ship!

That sounds awesome. I'm listening now, and love that vibe! You know, I've worked at AIR Studios, which I believe was founded by George Martin, if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for sharing! I'll put that in my Amazon shopping basket. xx

IT's funny I used to listen to that album with my head between a pair of EMI speakers in the 70s and it always sounded so incredibly well recorded.. I only discovered it was George Martin a few years ago watching Jeff Beck 'On the run' on Netflix.. and it was like - Ahh no wonder - that explains it!

this is what first came to mind for me...

I just remember how big and groovy the interpretation was/is, and how the simplicity of the whole beat picture perfectly drove the intensity of the song

but the hi hat crossing the beat was what hooked me for good...and the build up of the subdivisional business through the guitar solo as the solo itself builds is just awesome

Pat Torpey's footwork on this drum solo. Triplets on the right foot, single on the left.
Fast forward to 3:00 and be amazed.
Wow.. awesome drummer. Great hair as well Lol! Liked the hand technique focus around 2.20.. great fingers! Zero wrist movement and tons of volume with his rolls. Have to check out more Mr. Big.. thanks!

K R L K R L . . . . . .

Back