Which forums have you stopped visiting/contributing?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I feel like I've been a part of some great and not-so-great forums over the years; however, the vast majority have been really good.
Drum Chat
Everything Dulcimer (no longer exists)
Developing Worship (no longer exists)
Talk Bass
Acoustic Guitar Forum

Other non-music related:
Ford Ranger forum
Chevy truck forum

How about you?

99% of social media:
Facebook
imgur
Reddit
Twitter.

All gone.

I still have Messenger (for old Facebook buds who see my account deactivated) & Instagram (for networking & gig advertising). Control of those two are all me and are largely unaffected by others.

I'm only on this forum for drums & I'm a long time member of the Usual Suspects Network (a knife and other interest forum).
That's it.

Good for you! That's fantastic!

If it wasn't for me promoting my music, I'd just put my name on my wife's FB account and delete mine.
I learned Instagram is a good platform for this as you can network sorta-good on it. Nothing to the Facebook level, but I don't have the toxicity of that place to deal with either.
Switchblade Music was another resource I used for a bit. Like MySpace but more 21st century.

This one, almost completely. I still visit, but I almost never post anymore.

The main reason is that I've moved away from the drums and I now play bass almost exclusively, including in my band. Not saying I won't be back in this forum and/or behind a drum kit, but at the moment I'm not devoting much capacity to the drumming side of my brain :)

Badger & blade
It wasn't voluntary as I was banned, and not for anything that any sane and/or rational person would ever kick someone off a forum for, but I was already mentally moving on from that toxic environment when it happened.

I keep Facebook because that’s how my huge Hawaiian family seems to get news out to everybody, but I’m in the process of leaving certain forums within it. The ones that started with a “D” and ended with a “W” are gone, and I’m disconnecting from others. People are just silly, or downright pretentious (hows that for not saying “stupid”? 😉).

I think this is the only traditional sense message board I use.

Other than that, I browse Reddit and use two discord channels.

The main reason is that I've moved away from the drums and I now play bass almost exclusively, including in my band. Not saying I won't be back in this forum and/or behind a drum kit, but at the moment I'm not devoting much capacity to the drumming side of my brain :)
Good to hear of your change of direction, & to see you post here. Hoping all is going well in your world :)

I learned Instagram is a good platform for this as you can network sorta-good on it. Nothing to the Facebook level, but I don't have the toxicity of that place to deal with either.
Switchblade Music was another resource I used for a bit. Like MySpace but more 21st century.

I started an Instagram, and I really like it because I follow my kids, wife, and nothing but a bunch of drum companies and drum stores. It's so much fun. No politics rolls across my newsfeed at all.

Badger & blade
It wasn't voluntary as I was banned, and not for anything that any sane and/or rational person would ever kick someone off a forum for, but I was already mentally moving on from that toxic environment when it happened.

I was a part of a commercial lawnmower forum on Facebook when I first got my mower last year. Never in my life have I seen such a huge pi$$ing contest in my life. No one ever answered my questions (which were fairly simple), and everyone was comparing their "fleet" of zero-turn mowers with everyone else and showing their pics of striped yards. What a crummy little group of people.

I got banned from a forum because of what the mod and I considered "religious" discussion. He was also very strict about not posted links to any other website that sold anything, so if there was a killer sale on XYZ, no one could share it. I couldn't follow his rules, so I bowed out and then he banned me before I could get email addresses from friends I had made on there.

Pearl Drummers Forum
Joined somewhere near the end of 2003, but a lot of the familiar members stopped posting and i hardly got any replies on things i posted. Stopped visiting around 2017 or so when i joined this forum. I was lurking since 2015 or so on the PDF, but i haven't logged in there this year i believe and think i will never do so again.

Mike Portnoy's Forum
Well that's mainly because the man himself shut it down. It's still online, but you can't post anymore. Was never really active on it and was more a lurker. There were some good threads when he was in Dream Theater (lot of funny pic threads) and the gear section was nice, but after he left DT he switched more the Istagram/Twitter/Facebook etc.

WCNews
I was a Wing Commander fan (still am thinking about it) and posted a lot on Wing Commander CIC fan sites forum. Joined in 2001 and apparently logged in on april 15th 2019 for the last time., but my last post was in 2013. Stopped posting since there hasn't been a WC game for ages.

Others
I stopped using Facebook on my real name and use a fake account for everything. I don't care about dog and cat photos or that someone had a great day in a zoo etc., but i do use it to follow bands and artists i like without constantly being tagged in pictures and videos etc. I enjoy the serenity ever since ;)

Had Twitter for a few months, but i really hated the storm of posts i'd see when a bad liked a pic/post and had to filter through so much stuff i don't care about that i stopped using it. Only used Instagram once to follow a live stream and deleted it afterwards hehe. Still have a YouTube account, but that's pretty much all the personal info sealed of and don't post vids anymore. Only use it to follow drummers and some games etc.

I still do have LinkedIn, but since i got my permanent contract (loose translation, don't know the exact English word, but it means that my contract doesn't expire over time and that i'm pretty much sure that i'm employed until retirement) I've stopped using it to promote myself to find a job. Since a few years I've got an aversion to sharing everything online and pretty much silent. Well except here, but none of you know who I'm really am hehehe which is comforting.

Last edited:

Have you tried Talkbass. I play bass as well and it was my main forum to visit. Since I currently only play drums in a band it's mostly this one presently.

I will begrudgingly visit a site tailored specifically to my vehicle. Sorting through all the argumentation and misinformation gets to be a nightmare sometimes. Its also a "no zombie thread" site, so sometimes I must sort through 10 threads of the same topic just to read a bunch of dickhead responses about the search function and not reviving zombie threads.

No InstaTwitSnapFace for me. No Linkedin. No nothing. Y'all are the only folks I choose to converse with electronically.

Back