Josh dun drum pad v Benny greb drum pad

Just get an Evans RealFeel and get to slappin
Maybe I'm in the minority but using the RealFeel pad or similar bouncy pads actually hurts my technique when I get on the kit. I have a tendency to hold the sticks too loosely and getting used to the extra rebound from the pad just exacerbates it. When playing on it I normally put an Evans sound-off mute on top to reduce the rebound. With that on, it's a very good approximation of the feel of a snare drum.

Maybe I'm in the minority but using the RealFeel pad or similar bouncy pads actually hurts my technique when I get on the kit. I have a tendency to hold the sticks too loosely and getting used to the extra rebound from the pad just exacerbates it. When playing on it I normally put an Evans sound-off mute on top to reduce the rebound. With that on, it's a very good approximation of the feel of a snare drum.
I should have said "get a pad and get to slappin'" the point I was making is that any pad will be fine as long as you actually use it and practice, it's easy to overthink the details when the details don't really matter in the end. I use a Vater pad, one as a table next to my kit and one to actually practice on and it works great for both applications!

I have the BG "Master Pad" if that's the one you are referring to. It's pretty bouncy. More so than the Evans RealFeel. No experience with the other you mention.

For minimum rebound, I have been liking the Prologix Blue Lightening

Back