Sudden taste change

I'm really glad I've read so many of you are Remo fans..it makes me feel sane when I can be overly picky. I don't like alot of my personality weirdnesses but one thing I do actually like is that when I flip out over something it's basically for life such as paiste cymbals. I still look to this day into everything but it only reaffirms my fondness of paiste cymbals. Yeears ago I had a verbal battle with some bit-- at paiste over an obvious warranty issue. I was so ticked afterwards that I swore I'd ditch them all for sabian gear but I couldn't. I'm usually sickeningly polite but this A-Hole pushed my Mr.hyde button HARD.

I've done my fair share of experimenting with head brands too. I've not circled back to Aquarian. I was experiencing a lot of that plastic brittleness mentioned here with my Evans heads. The 2-ply Aquarian heads (Modern Vintage II) sound much meatier than the G2s that I had on my kit.

Overall, I've noticed Aquarian, the Modern Vintage series in particular, have the least plastic-sounding heads out there.

To be fair, some of the difference might be the sound and feel of where I tune my drums. When I tuned up the G2s where they had the feel and response that I like, they sounded thin and "plasticy". I think Aquarian heads like to be tuned a little higher than others. They really sing at higher tunings, yet sound full and deep.

For now, I'm extremely happy to have Aquarian heads back on my kit.

For the record, I am referring to clear G1's and clear Genera resonants. Which are the heads I used for a long time.

I have some Calftones on there right now and I've been liking them this week.

Maybe it's the clear heads where my tastes are changing.

I just never noticed the brittleness before

I have favourite heads in all of the big three brands . I usually go back to Remo though as my go to . Coated over clear Ambassadors for Toms , CS coated for snares and PS3 clear or coated for bass drum batters .

Some Evans heads I like - Clear G12 for Tom batters and clear G1 for Tom resos.
I like the clear EQ3 for bass drum batters .
PowerCenter reverse dot for snare drums

I played Aquarian heads for about ten years and still have some favourites .
Texture coated for Tom batters
Classic clear for Tom resos
Texture coated with power dot for snare batters
Superkick 1 for bass drum batters .

If I had to choose in order of brand it would go :
Remo
Aquarian
Evans

I just changed out my two toms 10 and 11 from clear Remos to coated Ambassadors and am real happy. Over a month ago.

But the old Remos were TAMA factory heads over 3 decades ago!

I've also, as of 4:32 PM today changed my snare - after 10+ years - to leaning back toward me. Mainly because I'm playing more contemporary styles lately and feels so much better. It was another tweak moment rabbit hole that I was hesitant in going down. I promised myself I would make gradual changes and play a little before going further. Ended up raising and tilting the 10 and 11 (on a stand) more toward me.

So my kit is starting to look more like Weckl's and Colaiuta's from the 80s LOL. Feels great though. BAM!!

I've also raised my ride, which is a no no change. And my crash is tilted more. There's no going back baby LOL.

I used to like Remo.. then i tried Aquarian... now i don't think i have 1 remo head..

Been an Aquarian guy since I got my acoustics... although I have dabbled a bit with Evans. Trying a 56‘ Calftone on my snare tuned low and fat. It’s so meaty, great for some 70’s rock. But still.. NOTHING can separate me from the holy Aquarian Super Kick.

Always Remo for decades but started trying Evan’s and Aquarian. I just don’t dig Aquarian but I’d agree it wasn’t as fair a chance as Evan’s. Evans won but lately ordering what I wanted in mil etc rather brand on Amazon I’ve been buying mixed. I recently bought Remo Emperors and Evan’s G2 . I’ve been favoring Evan’s but Remo won . Bit disappointed in that because I left Remo cause disappointed in them.

Back