The Wrong Song for the Situation

I never understood that part about the law, talking non violent crimes

Them: We're fining you 5 big.

Me: I'll never be able to pay that.

Them: Playing tough eh? Well in that case Mister we have no choice but to house you, clothe you, feed you, give you medical attention, and keep you warm and dry. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. Plus there's pastimes and special visitation times here to occupy your mind so you don't think about why you're here as much. How do you like them apples?

And don't worry about the fine money, we would rather pay out to punish both of us than to drop the whole thing. Because letting you go would make us look weak

Backwards.

I started my electrical journey by doing energy efficient commercial lighting retrofits in the early 90's from Maine to Virginia. One time we were doing a job at the offices of the Department For Energy Conservation in the heart of Washington DC. This was THE most overlit office I ever saw. There were more lights than empty ceiling tiles, no exageration . Plus one of the guys there made it a special point to specifically instruct us to NOT turn the lights off when we were done for the night. Department of Energy Conservation dude ordering me to keep the lights burning. It's classic.

To their credit my work saved near 70% of the lighting bill, but still, on the surface, it's comical. I understand that if they don't spend their budget they don't get more next year blah blah. Typical government agency. Interested in self preservation only and doesn't really give a hoot about the function of the office. If I had to hire a government like I would hire a business...ha ha what a cluster&^% that would be

Well in that case Mister we have no choice but to house you
It's more like cattle herding than housing. You do get a rack with a mat, so theres that.
clothe you
You get fresh clothes every day. The object here is to get one day ahead so you have one extra set to use as a pillow. It's difficult because you have to turn in dirty clothes/towel/blanket to get clean ones.
We got cold food only. Breakfast was hard boiled eggs, oranges, and cereal. Everything else was sandwiches. Keep your sugar packets if you can.
give you medical attention
Not really. It is there, but you need to request it. That means fill out a form, get a reply to your request, wait till you get called to go see the Dr., then get an aspirin. Unless you are obviously hurt, its medical consideration, not attention. The Drs. are there mostly for distribution of inmate meds.
keep you warm and dry
Dry yes, it definitely was not warm in there. I spent most of my indoor time under a blanket reading. As a nonviolent inmate I got to go out and work most days, so I also got rained on and sunburnt as hell.

Going home was strange at first. Once home, its quiet. No one is telling you what to do, where to go, when to eat, nothing. You must reacclimate yourself to freedom.

It's more like cattle herding than housing. You do get a rack with a mat, so theres that.

You get fresh clothes every day. The object here is to get one day ahead so you have one extra set to use as a pillow. It's difficult because you have to turn in dirty clothes/towel/blanket to get clean ones.

We got cold food only. Breakfast was hard boiled eggs, oranges, and cereal. Everything else was sandwiches. Keep your sugar packets if you can.

Not really. It is there, but you need to request it. That means fill out a form, get a reply to your request, wait till you get called to go see the Dr., then get an aspirin. Unless you are obviously hurt, its medical consideration, not attention. The Drs. are there mostly for distribution of inmate meds.

Dry yes, it definitely was not warm in there. I spent most of my indoor time under a blanket reading. As a nonviolent inmate I got to go out and work most days, so I also got rained on and sunburnt as hell.

Going home was strange at first. Once home, its quiet. No one is telling you what to do, where to go, when to eat, nothing. You must reacclimate yourself to freedom.
Having been both places, being an inmate and being in the Army are real close. Differences: food is occasionally warm and "edible", you get all your clothing at once and you have to clean it. They hand out ibuprofen at the TMC instead of aspirin.

At the risk of being nosy, @MrInsanePolack , what were the fines for and how much were they? 100 days seems a long damned time!

Feel free to tell me "None o' yo' damned bidness," if so inclined. :)

Having been both places, being an inmate and being in the Army are real close. Differences: food is occasionally warm and "edible", you get all your clothing at once and you have to clean it. They hand out ibuprofen at the TMC instead of aspirin.
Funny you say that, there was a retired Army guy in there who kept insisting it was "like the service only easier".

At the risk of being nosy, @MrInsanePolack , what were the fines for and how much were they? 100 days seems a long damned time!
On my 30th bday I got a DWI. Six months later I got another one because I refused to blow but actually had not been drinking. One year later i got #3. My fines in all (court costs, fines, etc.) came to around $4000 total.

I only spent 30 days total for the DWIs. The fines cost me more time than the crime.

No one was hurt in any of my mistakes. I was always initially pulled over for speeding. My first blow was .09. I dont remember what the third time was. I don't drink anymore.

Funny you say that, there was a retired Army guy in there who kept insisting it was "like the service only easier".

On my 30th bday I got a DWI. Six months later I got another one because I refused to blow but actually had not been drinking. One year later i got #3. My fines in all (court costs, fines, etc.) came to around $4000 total.

I only spent 30 days total for the DWIs. The fines cost me more time than the crime.

No one was hurt in any of my mistakes. I was always initially pulled over for speeding. My first blow was .09. I dont remember what the third time was. I don't drink anymore.
That's amazing that they'd jail you that long for $4000 in fines. Uncle Larry's post is totally apropos!

I started my electrical journey by doing energy efficient commercial lighting retrofits in the early 90's from Maine to Virginia
In Menlo Park ,the offices where I worked were remodeled.
The contractors had to use different lighting fixtures that weren't as bright as the originals,so everybody had to get a 2nd incandescent lamp for their desk where none was required before.
Sometimes you just shake your head.

Had an uncle that had his 2nd DUI in like 3 years and was facing a year in jail.
He had depression issues and ended up killing himself over it on Thanksgiving Day.
I'll never forget that.

Had an uncle that had his 2nd DUI in like 3 years and was facing a year in jail.
He had depression issues and ended up killing himself over it on Thanksgiving Day.
I'll never forget that.
I am sorry to hear about your loss. This is exactly the danger of depression.

Attempting to steer the thread back on course, after having contributed to the derailment -

How about "Every Breath You Take" at weddings? I've heard Sting mention it bothers him that people don't realize it's a stalker song, not a love song.

In high school, the band I was in landed a gig at a church youth-social function of some sort. Our whole set list was basically AC/DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen, etc. We were doing okay, following the regular setlist, when the bass player started off the next song - Running With The Devil. Don't know why it never occured to us until mid-song that it might not be a good idea.

We were NOT asked back. ?
We were deployed somewhere in the Middle East, I had formed a band and we were playing during a sunday holiday, we were playing Rage Against the Machine so we the vocalist had to improvise on the fly "Forget you I won't do what you tell me" and the line at the end "Mothertruckeeeerssss"
Kind of hard to sing the actual lines when the Captain who knows the song is staring you in the face....

I never understood that part about the law, talking non violent crimes

Them: We're fining you 5 big.

Me: I'll never be able to pay that.

Them: Playing tough eh? Well in that case Mister we have no choice but to house you, clothe you, feed you, give you medical attention, and keep you warm and dry. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. Plus there's pastimes and special visitation times here to occupy your mind so you don't think about why you're here as much. How do you like them apples?

And don't worry about the fine money, we would rather pay out to punish both of us than to drop the whole thing. Because letting you go would make us look weak

Backwards.

I started my electrical journey by doing energy efficient commercial lighting retrofits in the early 90's from Maine to Virginia. One time we were doing a job at the offices of the Department For Energy Conservation in the heart of Washington DC. This was THE most overlit office I ever saw. There were more lights than empty ceiling tiles, no exageration . Plus one of the guys there made it a special point to specifically instruct us to NOT turn the lights off when we were done for the night. Department of Energy Conservation dude ordering me to keep the lights burning. It's classic.

To their credit my work saved near 70% of the lighting bill, but still, on the surface, it's comical. I understand that if they don't spend their budget they don't get more next year blah blah. Typical government agency. Interested in self preservation only and doesn't really give a hoot about the function of the office. If I had to hire a government like I would hire a business...ha ha what a cluster&^% that would be
Same here, we had some 2000 chairs (about 1000 dlls a piece) that we would replace every 6 months whether they needed to be replaced or not among a lot of other extreme waste, like having me throw overboard about 400 lbs of silver (actual silver) silverware because (We don't use it).. I didn't have a place to store it otherwise I would have,... or during that same time they were having me dip six a brand new still in the plastic floor orbital polisher.. while they were keeping the old piece of shit we used...I dumped the old one and got yelled at for keeping the new one!!.. I also had to dump a brand new fountain drink dispensing machine (they kept the old one because they were too lazy to install the new one, I offered to install it but was turned down. I was too junior to have any voice, now 18 years later I would be getting some of those people court martialed...

Attempting to steer the thread back on course, after having contributed to the derailment -

How about "Every Breath You Take" at weddings? I've heard Sting mention it bothers him that people don't realize it's a stalker song, not a love song.

I remember i had a girl on my class called Roxanne. So every time i saw her i heard 'Roxxxxxaaaaaannnnnne' in my head. I never really to lyrics or try to figure out what the song is about, i listen more to the "whole" of the song (if that makes any sense, but don't really hear separate instruments/vocals and perceive it as one whole song).
I told her about it and she said 'you know what that song is about right?'.
So i said 'euh yeah about a girl named Roxanne...' and she said '...a girl named Roxanne who's a prostitute'.
Honestly i didn't know that haha and she explained 'you don't have to put on the red light is a pretty good hint'.
Luckily she could laugh about it and i was really embarrassed hahaha

Last edited:
Wow Jeremy. I do dig the song.

He was having a bad throat night

Back