I'm gonna be a bebop jazz player.

That settles it, man. I'm goin' back to 1959 and transforming into a bebop jazz player. Today's music sucks. I'm outta here.

just add be bop to the list...don't leave!!

I actually "started" as a be-bop player cause that is what my dad was, and he was my first teacher....then I just added R&B, rock, metal, punk, marching, orchestral, swing, Latin, pop, reggae, electronica, country/rockabilly to the pile...they all help each other!!!

but you are correct..mainstream stuff is pretty awful!!

But.....Cardi B's WAP is the pinnacle of musical expression
I like to play this over 2 Live Crew's F*** Shop. It's like being at a virtual brothel.

Also, about the time machine, I'd like to book an appointment for 1770. I have questions.

So I dunno if any of you watch Rick Beato on youtube, but he's done a listen to the top 10 on Spotify a few times over the past 6 months. He just did one the other day. 3 of those songs were actually legit really good. And this isn't some underground stuff, this is mainstream top 40 stuff. So there is definitely hope for the mainstream, don't knock it completely.

So I dunno if any of you watch Rick Beato on youtube, but he's done a listen to the top 10 on Spotify a few times over the past 6 months. He just did one the other day. 3 of those songs were actually legit really good. And this isn't some underground stuff, this is mainstream top 40 stuff. So there is definitely hope for the mainstream, don't knock it completely.
I tried. He irks me. Can't put my finger on it, but I want to punch him in the face whenever I see him.

I feel the exact same way. Not sure why, he is just delivering info, but yeah...
He's got that arrogant know-it-all persona that if you hate egomaniacs you just want to punch them in the face. I had that issue with my Dad and two older brothers-I still want to punch my two bros in the face. Some egomaniacs are harmless but others a nuisance that need a good face smashing. Is that wrong? Slap them back to reality is my hope-so an intervention. I would think we would qualify for some sort of medal or award for a public service.

That settles it, man. I'm goin' back to 1959 and transforming into a bebop jazz player. Today's music sucks. I'm outta here.
You need to go further back than 1959 for bop jazz. Bop evolved from Big Band. Think Bird and Dizzy. 1940's and early 50's. By the time 1959 rolled around bop was an older genre of jazz. Kind of Blue came out in 1959. Definitely not bop. Miles declared 'war on the chord'. The track So What uses just two chords in 32 bars. Time Out was 1959, too. As for me - I much prefer what I hear as more melodic jazz coming out post-bop, but not the later free jazz or latter Miles stuff. I guess I'm more a West Coast Chet Baker sorta jazz dude. 1959 and early 60's would be my time machine destination, but not for bop.

You need to go further back than 1959 for bop jazz. Bop evolved from Big Band. Think Bird and Dizzy. 1940's and early 50's. By the time 1959 rolled around bop was an older genre of jazz. Kind of Blue came out in 1959. Definitely not bop. Miles declared 'war on the chord'. The track So What uses just two chords in 32 bars. Time Out was 1959, too. As for me - I much prefer what I hear as more melodic jazz coming out post-bop, but not the later free jazz or latter Miles stuff. I guess I'm more a West Coast Chet Baker sorta jazz dude. 1959 and early 60's would be my time machine destination, but not for bop.
Yeah, when I hear '59 I'm thinking about the albums that came out that year that are modal jazz (Kind of Blue), hard bop (Moanin'), and cool jazz (Chet and Time Out). Good stuff.

Yup...just set your time machine for about 1946-47, then head for New York and get in on the early Bebop action

Hold on cats, I'm resetting my flux capacitor to early 1940's, heading over to jam with Charlie 'Bird' Parker. Thanks for telling me. I'll check out Dizzy while I'm there.

The general Top 40 list is mostly crap, but on the stylistic Spotify charts there's lots of cool stuff. It actually makes it easier for the kids to get into all sorts of stuff regardless of when it was recorded. They're not necessarily locked into what's current. Spotify doesn't age driscriminate. Most stuff is there, even Zappa now.

I'm a teacher and when I play out I have to do all sorts of stuff. I try not to lock myself in and see how I can use anything as a base for creativity or as a springboard for teaching and opening doors for all sorts of students.

I get that all the electronic stuff and people using all the same sounds gets a bit old, but if you want to play one of those songs you're as free as you've ever been to interpret and rearrange stuff.

Now, focusing on bop for a while can only be good for you, so I see no issue with that.

It takes two seconds to find out that I'm a jazz and fusion type guy and do my general practice from that perspective, but anything is quotable within those frames.

It's just music.

All pop music sounding the same with the same sounds, production, limited harmonic structures, same formulas, same way of singing etc.. is nothing new in history. Let's talk one hit doo-wop wonders.

To be honest, I'd much rather play some of the new stuff than all these same old cover tunes I've been playing in bars for much of my life.

Last edited:
I really enjoy Coltrane/Ali's "Interstellar Space". It is the closest music I've found that matches my general thought process on a day to day basis. Constantly shifting incoherent rambling that is equally frustrating and enticing with occasional breaks for unnecessary jingles.

Back