The Police - Synchronicity II Cover

dwsabianguy

Somebody traded in a 24" Paiste Rude Ride/Crash to 2112 Percussion, which I've been tapping on for about three weeks, and I decided to buy it and give it a try after my shift on Thursday. For those who don't know, this is the model Stewart Copeland played on the Synchronicity tour, and I've always loved his ride cymbal sound.

It's a cool cymbal. I'm calling it the manhole cover, cause it weighs about ten pounds.

Anyway, a friend of mine made me aware of a drumless version of this song, so I figured I'd use it as a test bed to see just how close it is to the ride cymbal on the record. Turns out it's pretty darn close! There's a little push and pull in the original Police recording, and I ended up pushing and pulling a bit myself, but I'm pretty happy with the vibe I've captured here.

Enjoy!

Drums sound great! I like the solid back beat with the hihat flourishes. Add the ride accents and it all grooves for me here.

Nice playing and thanks for sharing!

PS. What size sticks did you use and are these your normal playing sticks or did you change for this song only?

What size sticks did you use and are these your normal playing sticks or did you change for this song only?

I've been playing Vic Firth 5A Doubleglaze for a year, give or take, and unless I'm playing really quiet jazzy things I don't use anything else. They seem to last longer than the satin-finish Vic Firths, too.

I agree the ride is very close from the real thing in the album.. (exactly the same thing?) the snare sound is a very strong match too. (from memory only)

(y)
Awesome playing!

That song is very near and dear to my heart. I was fascinated with it when I was leaning to play in the early 80s. Stuart was my
drumming hero and one of the main inspirations for starting to play.

Do you did a great job! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

You're drums, Paistes and especially your snare sound awesome!

Last edited:
Very nice! 2112 is where I go too. Great store!

Loooooved this!!!:love: Mate, you smashed it, that’s a beautiful ride, and your kit and cymbals sounded amazing! Well played and cheers for sharing....really enjoyed that; the spirit of Stewart is strong with this one!.?:D

Hey very cool, great sound. Am wondering what your drums are?
I don't have a 24 ride, but am always fascinated how they stand out on a kit.

Hey very cool, great sound. Am wondering what your drums are?
I don't have a 24 ride, but am always fascinated how they stand out on a kit.

I'll be honest, I thought this 24 was going to be WAY louder in context than it is - it's a big heavy thing and it feels like it should be a lot louder than the rest of the kit, but it's clearly not.

The drums are 70s Gretsch - 20x14, 12x8, 14x14, 16x16. Snare is my COB Supraphonic with a N&C die cast batter hoop and a Yamaha die cast bottom hoop. I would like to find an N&C bottom hoop someday. Coated Ambassador batters on snare and toms, hazy Amb snare bottom, clear Ambassador tom bottoms, smooth white P3 kick batter/coated Ambassador resonant with a towel inside.

Can you mix your drumming higher in the mix so we can hear it better? Just make the original song barely listenable.

Back