Drums and the Significant Other

Nope. She thinks it's foolish. Long story and don't feel like spending the time to write it all out.
I married my drums in a secret ceremony back in 1988. Unfortunately my drums are extremely jealous and were responsible for multiple break ups before I met my wife! The drums gave their blessing, so I did the honourable thing... I bought another drum kit!! (y) ?
Wondered why your snare had a such a big ring!

My wife and I have a two bed flat - we sleep in the "front" room (no need for guests!) and have a work room each. Hers (and most of the rest of the apartment) is full of her PhD books, clothes and perfumes (and raw ingredients for perfumes, she makes them) and some more books, and some towering piles of things that resemble more books but I've not actually gone through to be sure.
Mine, is full of drums and whisky, and more of both. Supporting each other in our individual things is part of the relationship. If we didn't, what would be the point. She's also a dancer of various styles, and a couple of years ago took up flamenco. Her interest in rhythm has been increasing ever since, and I sometimes I get her tapping through the first page of stick control with me.

Sorry, did I say two beds and a front room? I mean our flat is a one bed flat with a studio and a library.
The only thing I'm missing at home is a distillery (and tbh once her visa status is a bit more sorted and I'm not scared of her being deported for me moonshining, I know how to solve that) so I can make my other passion, and sideline in making her neutral grain spirit for her to use as a base for her perfume goals.
Again, supporting each other in our individual things is part of the relationship. If we didn't, what would be the point. All our interests are "parallel" interests, and we teach/show each other new perspectives on our own interests.

I've never known a relationship with a woman that didn't become a total PITA when it came to working clubs or travel or cruise ships. And if for some reason it suddenly wasn't it was a harbinger of a sudden death. Or a bass player.

The touring lifestyle destroys families and relationships unless you can bring your wife/kids or girlfriend along.

My wife attends gigs (even when heavily pregnant with our daughter), carries the stick bag into the venue (and occasionally the snare), shows vaguely interest when a cymbal-shaped box is delivered by the postie, and actually enjoys watching drum-related videos (Zildjian Live, Clinics, product demos) on the main TV. I couldn’t ask for more!

Yes, very supportive.

She plays bass, and we played at church together for 17-18 years before I quit playing at church last year. She still plays at church a couple of times a month.

She loves coming to my gigs and helping out. As a matter of fact, she can actually set my drums up and get everything adjusted within a couple of inches of where everything needs to be. She loves it when we have band practice at our place. She says one of her favorite thing is hearing live music in our house. She supports my purchases because I rarely buy anything unless I actually need it. She's actually talked me into a kit or two.

We have three kids together, and this June we will have been married 19 years. I'm so crazy about her; she's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

She bought me my kit, I bought her a new guitar. She bought me wrap for xmas and a 12" tom.
She works on policy to help the unhoused and people with mental problems.
My wife is a better person than pretty much everyone I know, especially me.
I'm a really lucky SoB.

Lots of lucky guys (and gals) here. My wife is neutral to slightly negative. She shows no interest in it whatsoever and provides no encouragement. Not actively negative however, aside from the very occasional passive aggressive comment about how much time I spend. We're doing alright financially and I don't spend a lot, so that hasn't been an issue at least. Having said that, I'm not looking forward to the conversation about my new kit upgrade...

Lots of lucky guys (and gals) here. My wife is neutral to slightly negative. She shows no interest in it whatsoever and provides no encouragement. Not actively negative however, aside from the very occasional passive aggressive comment about how much time I spend. We're doing alright financially and I don't spend a lot, so that hasn't been an issue at least. Having said that, I'm not looking forward to the conversation about my new kit upgrade...
Let her choose the finish.

Back